Video Review: First Flights in your Homebuilt Aircraft

Last night, at the end of my local EAA Chapter 1333 meeting, we watched a video from the EAA titled First Flights in your Homebuilt Aircraft. I thought, "Well, I'm building a homebuilt, so this should be interesting."

During the introduction by former space shuttle commander, Robert "Hoot" Gibson (who built a tube and rag, or was it aluminum?), I noticed a grazing canard in the background. The canard influence turned out to be much more than a cameo, with Long-EZs and VariEzes being used for the majority of video footage. To top it all off, Terry Schubert (CSA editor) managed to get caught by the camera as well as his Long-EZ.

The content of the video was entirely worthwhile, even for those not building as it addressed in-flight emergency procedures, including fire, and electrical and engine failures. I was THRILLED to have my chapter exposed to these strange looking airplanes, all doing perfect take-offs and landings, and shown in the context of safety.

The video is available from AS&S or the EAA for $10, and may be available for free to your chapter's EAA Flight Advisor.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 6 months later...

Hey Jon, this is Mynor from Costa Rica, I have that video too and I was so happy to see a long-EZ in action, that I can't wait to have mine finished and flying, it must be incredible to fly a canard airplane. I also download from the FAA webside the AC 90-89A and is a must for the test flight phase, so I recomend you to download that circular, it will be a great help. Later this week I will post some pictures of my project, so you can see how it is going.

Regards

Mynor M B

Long EZ

http://www.flyingez.com