Helper (read slave) to learn layps, vacumm bagging etc!

Hello everyone,

I'm Tom Gillespie and I live in Port Charlotte Fla. Just moved back here from Costa Rica. I've been lurking for a while and have done a few posts. I'm looking for a local builder to help maybe a couple of times so I can learn proper layups, vacuum bagging etc. I dont mind driving an hour or so or within reason. If you need some free help for some layups, e mail me and we will go from there.

I hope to get started on my project about the middle of March and have already ordered the Terf CD and am getting the "hanger" ready for the build. I have a lot of experience from building my own race cars for drag racing, working in Nascar for 5 years, a year on a top fuel team and have been a contractor for over 25 years.

I have really enjoyed following everyones posts and all the info that comes from here and this is what pushed me to start.

Press on!

Tom

"Time flys when your building"

Yes Jon. I'm looking at kind of a long/berkut best of both worlds if you will. I'm 6'2' and 200 #s so I would like a little comfort as well as a fast plane. I am going to build a plug mould like Bulient did but lay up as much of the fuse as one part as I can including the nose, thus making the templates etc easier and hopefully a faster build time frame.

Press on!

Tom

Ok guys! I'm stilll looking for someone to help on a weekend or something. Got to be someone here in S W Florida working on a plane. I'll extend the drive to maybe 2 hours . Let me know!!!:scared:

Press On!!!!!!!

• 4 months later...

A plug mold is a male mold, shaped to the dimensions you need, treated with a release agent, and then a layup is put on it. After cure the part is separated from the mold (as opposed to removed from the mold I suppose).

Having tweaked the plans ever so slightly myself, I can only offer you that I would never repeat that again and intend only build to plans going forward with minimal changes in the building process.

It's an educational experience when you say to yourself, "Ah, so that's why I was supposed to do it like that."

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV