High performance endorsement

Quick question... I know that some of the Subaru and Rotary installs put out 200+hp, do experimental flyers using them need to get a high performance endorsement? Is there a different FAR in effect for experimental vs. certified engines? Or is this one of those things where nobody dynos their engine so, as far as they know, they're <200hp?

Or is the first rule of autoconversion fight club that we don't talk about autoconversion fight club?

Ben Hallert - http://hallert.net/cozy/ - Chapter 1 - EAA Chapter#31

Quick question... I know that some of the Subaru and Rotary installs put out 200+hp, do experimental flyers using them need to get a high performance endorsement?

Yes. There is not exemption for experimentals from this requirement - see:

http://eaa.org/communications/eaanews/050509_rating.html

UNLESS you don't carry passengers in your experimental. Kind of limits the usability of anything other than single seaters, however.

Or is the first rule of autoconversion fight club that we don't talk about autoconversion fight club?

I'm sure that there are many aircraft out there that are listed as having 200 HP engines, when, in fact, they may actually have more than that. Without dynoing the engine, who would know......

Hmmm,

Considering that the cutoff date was last year, it would seem a pilot of a new EXP is in a catch-22 situation. Theoretically, by the end of the Phase I period, the hours are there, but then s/he can't have an instructor fly with her/him to verify proficiancy. Or can the instructor be considered "essential crew" rather than a "passenger"?

Dale R.

Considering that the cutoff date was last year, it would seem a pilot of a new EXP is in a catch-22 situation.

Huh? All they have to do is go to an FBO, rent a 201 HP aircraft for a couple of hours with an instructor, and get the "High Performance" endorsement. What's the big deal? Just because you can't get it in YOUR plane, how does that change anything?

...Just because you can't get it in YOUR plane...

It doesn't need to be in rented plane does it? If you can find a CFI who will tech you in your plane isn't that OK (I think there is come question about whether it would have to be a freebie due to the fact that the plane was an experimental).

Another question...Though the Subie and Rotary are capable of HP in excess of 200, they may not be able to produce 200+ HP in their flight configuration; in essence the engines are de-rated. Would they still be considered high performance with a de-rated engine?

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9