Aircraft Factory set up (the shed)

AP3_C

Hi,

I have just finished building a 20X30 ft shed.

Just after suggestions on what sort of fit outs eg cupboard/bench locations and a like people have found useful during aricraft construction.

I know this is a pretty vague and open question but just looking at ideas and what other feel is perhaps essential or not required or would be nice type items.

Jamie

"An upsidedown Australian that wants to build an aircraft that flys backwards"

Welcome!

I have just finished building a 20X30 ft shed.

That's a VERY good size. Technically you could fit the whole plane in there, although very tight. You don't need to, however. Also, you can get through the first 4 chapters in a closet. I would suggest you "test" your setup through Chapter 4, pause to adjust your setup, and then carry on in earnest beginning w/Chapter 5.

Just after suggestions on what sort of fit outs eg cupboard/bench locations and a like people have found useful during aricraft construction.

I'll tell you what I found useful, and what NOT having hurt...

• Ample power and outlets
  • Ample heat (and insulation)
  • If wood, paint everything w/floor paint; let cement be -- you'll just crap it up w/epoxy droppings
  • consider shelves instead of cupboards
  • Put your bench in the middle of the room; consider building these benches
  • Consider power outlets hanging from the ceiling
  • Ceiling fans to circulate air
  • shelves and more shelves
  • epoxy hotbox
  • need a mini room (can be a PVC tent) to let parts cure overnight @ 65 degress fahrenheit. Can heat with a small electric heater.
  • dedicate space to be exclusive to building -- get a small shed for garden tools
I'm still looking for good ideas myself. Check out www.studbuddy.com for another simple idea for those unshelved spaces.

How about a picture of this shop of yours?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Thanks for the suggestions,

I had power point at 1st 2nd and 3rd positions in the list of things to have.

I know when my wife and I built our house we went silly getting power point put in and sometimes I don't think we still have enough.

Anyway I have a couple of photos, one is without the roller doors put on. I know some mods are going to have to be done to the front regarding acess. Hind sight is a wonderful thing. I really should have just had one roller door at least 12ft wide but instead I have two standard car garage roller doors. Oh well.

The second photo is my quality control inspector doing her bit. (the cat)

Jamie

post-1129-141090153548_thumb.jpg

post-1129-141090153571_thumb.jpg

If that's a "shed", then what do you call a 'garage'? :envy: That's a monster! For some reason I had in my head that you were building a 1.5 car-sized wooden "shed". You have a hangar! My 2-car garage is just over 20'x20'!

I feel compelled to write a disclaimer for those that might think this size area is required to get started. Attention everyone: you can build the majority of parts in a prefab 8'x12' wooden shed.

I really should have just had one roller door at least 12ft wide but instead I have two standard car garage roller doors. Oh well.

I'm in the same boat, and am wondering about doing some work in a year or two to move to a single door AND get rid of those columns I have. Will probably do it when I need.

Some other thoughts:

• Put two small exhaust fans in, one high, and one low for when you need to create a draft w/doors closed.
  • Plenty of lights.
  • setup to have a clean area, where you can keep (and cut) fiberglass without getting dust on it. Fiberglass is easiest to cut on a smooth table. If you have a clean room, then you don't need a cabinet for the fiberglass, just a way to hang the bolts of cloth.
I'm sure you have most of this figured out, so please keep us posted!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Forgot to mention, I grew up on a farm. The shed is never big enough. :)

Due to council restrictions I was unable to build it any bigger 54 square metres was as large as I could go. So 20'x30' (6mx9m) was it.

I have to say the garage was not built specifically to build aeroplanes in. I have an interest in wood work as well and hence have some wood working equipment that takes up a bit of space.

Once again thanks for the suggestions.

Jamie