Thrust angle for 200HP

swinn

I am ready to install the engine mount on the Long-EZ for our 200 HP IO-360 engine. I have been told that the thrust angle should be changed to accomadate the higher power engine to reduce the down thrust on takeoff. Does anyone know if the thrust angle needs to be changed, and if so what angle should be used?

--Scott

LongEZ #159

Finishing & Engine install

Blogged at: http://www.briansplane.com

Scott, I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but have lurked on all the mailing lists for the past few years. FWIW, I've never heard of changing the thrust angle.

I've heard of changing the thrust line an inch, but you need to be careful with that too. Why not finish to plans so that your only major variable is your big engine? High speed taxi tests will eventually give you a good feel of your takeoff roll.

Just a thought.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 3 months later...

Disagree. I adjusted the thrust angle on my 360 powered Long EZ with washers under the mount. The vertical vector component of the original O-235 was used to calculate the new thrust angle. I theoretically gained a fraction of thrust, but vibration did go down. Big surprise was elevator position. Although I never measured speed, my trim drag should be lower. Takeoff roll was essentially unchanged. Prop position changed approx 3/8" from memory.

Cheers

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

AUSTRALIA

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm