Ripped off by Fellow Flyer

Hiflier68

Here is my Story:

I've been looking for a Navaid servo, and what pops up on Barnstormers?

A new never installed Navaid Servo for $500.00. So like a good shopper, quickly offer $400.00 for it, thinking a can get a reasonable deal. OK, well the seller, UN-Named for now, emails me back and says, $430.00 which will cover the shipping and paypal fees. Off it goes immediately!!

Here is the problem, received the package today, and It doesn't look like any Navaid servo I have seen in the last 15 years. I call Navaid and they dont think it is theirs. Have been manufacturing the same servo for 16++ years.

Mailed the seller, and rec a quick reply that is was in the box with the head when he got his EZ............... I don;t know bout you guys, bit I sure do know what parts I have, and what era it came from.

Now I've asked just to reverse the transaction and, NO Answers from the seller.

What Do I Do???? Suggestions, ideas, anyone want to help??

Thanks,

hifliler68@yahoo.com

If you paid by PayPal through your credit card, just call your credit card company and they will dispute it for you. All you have to do is prove to them that you did not receive a NavAid servo. If NavAid will provide you with a letter stating the servo truly is not Navaid, you will prevail for sure. I have found it is generally better to buy stuff new even though it hurts the pocketbook as you know what you are getting, unless it is a yellow-tagged item from a reputable shop, etc. Hope you prevail.

Todd,

good call. That is a great way to dispute transaction. I did use my card.

This is the first time I have had trouble with the buy it from the net scheme.

Hope its the last. I am going to let the day run before starting the dispute. Give the seller a day to square up this situation

we have to stay vigilant: a couple of weeks back I was surfing all kinds of platforms for a used GNS-430. On more than one board, an offer from Indonesia popped up, with a price tag way below $ 3.000,00. Too good to be true, actually.

Looking a bit more closely to the picture that came with the offer, one could see that the cable mount wasn't unmounted 'the normal way', ie, all the cables where cut through, in a single cut. No connector...

I alerted a webmaster about the 'unorthodox GNS panel dismounting' and for sure, the next day the ad was gone....

bye

Hans

A couple months back a multi-thousand $ piece of Garmin equipment appeared in the For Sale section, similar to how you describe (odd location), but no picture. It didn't take long for a handful of members to point out that the ad was a scam, and it was quickly removed.

I'd be hesitant to buy avionics, or any big-ticket item from an auction or unknown source without fully qualifying the deal. PayPal offers an escrow-like service (maybe it is a real escrow?) and escrow may be the only way to go when spending thousands of dollars.

My biggest online purchases thus far have been in hundreds of dollars, but that's just me (I also don't have thousands to spend just yet).

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV