Are plans available

Mark Pensenstadler

Hi all,

I've always liked the Long-EZ and now that I am looking for another plane to build, I'd like to see if I can get Long-EZ plans. I hear that plans are no longer being sold but what about people like me that want to build one? I have some questions for those that have been around these planes for a while!

1. Are people still building the Long-EZ?

2. Are plans available?

3. Is there a builder's manual?

I suppose my main concern is that if I should get a set of plans, are there people that can help with questions and tough areas of construction? I've built a tube and fabric RANS S-10 before but never a fiberglass plane.

Any comments or suggestions would surely help. Thank you in advance...

Mark Pensenstadler

Mark, welcome!

1. Are people still building the Long-EZ?

Absolutely.

2. Are plans available?

They can be found and acquired, but are not readily available (for sale from a commercial outfit).

3. Is there a builder's manual?

The plans are the builders manual -- very detailed.

if I should get a set of plans, are there people that can help with questions and tough areas of construction?

Absolutely. Many of us here are building Cozys and Long-EZs. For specific Long-EZ support, join this Yahoo! mailing group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canard-aviators/ You should also consider buidling a Cozy Mark IV, for which plans are readily available from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. Cozy-specific builder support is available at www.cozybuilders.org

Of course you have this forum, and several other places on the Internet.

I've built a tube and fabric RANS S-10 before but never a fiberglass plane.

You're more than qualified -- fiberglass is rather easy to work with, with the primary issue over other materials is that you must not eat the epoxy or wipe it all over your skin. Seriously, some develop an allergic reaction to the epoxy, but most take care to wear gloves, masks, and clothing to protect themselves. Be more than careful upfront and through the build so that you never find out if you have an allergy.

Here's a related discussion with another member here seeking Long-EZ plans. They can be found/acquired -- you just need to be persistent.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV