Rough River

First time to RR and my spouse who is, ah...lets say use to the Holiday Inn experience and the like. We made reservations at the St Clair mom and pop inn nearby to RR and they still had rooms when all else were booked up. Why? One community bathroom at the end of the hall perhaps? I need to prepare my wife for the unexpected. Any one ever been there? This will not be good for my CZ 4 build experience if this turns out bad. I know what the canardians will be like, and I'm not worried about that part having been an EAAer since th '70's, it's the . . . toilet. :envy: Carol also needs the "first flight" experience in a Cozy please.

Thanx

Jerry Preiser - HiGeez :cool:

If your primary focus is Rough River (as it should be), then you'll be okay. If you like your creature comforts, you may be disappointed. Me? As long as the bed is clean, shower hot, and no pee on the seat, I'm fine! But my wife was a little disappointed. The only time I spent in the hotel (motel?) room was to sleep. So I was fine with it.

The St. Clair Inn is definitely two stars or less (out of 5 stars). Like something out of the 50's. The good news is that the sheets were clean, the beds were somewhat comfortable, and the shower water was hot. I didn't see any bugs or pests. It's closer to thhe runway than the Pine Tree.

Everything else was....well, how do I say this kindly....was pretty much compromised. The ice machine is bolted to the checkout counter. The doors to each hotel (motel?) room open to the outside. The doors are hollow, lightweight, and takes a few jiggles of the key to open the lock. The oval toilet seat did not match the round comode. Had to be really still or you'd fall off. The air conditioner was a window unit that pumped out the appropriate musty air. The drapes were really lightweight and didn't do much for privacy or keeping the light out. The two lamps had 30 watt bulbs in them and I was afraid to plug in my laptop to any of the power outlets. Our TV kept losing picture after a few minutes. The cover on the satellite unit kept falling off.

It's like this....Mom and Pop St. Clair inherited that hotel (motel?) from thier family. They are getting older and now want to sell it. So they have not poured in any big bucks to update the place. It's mostly used year round by fishermen who attend fishing tournaments.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Thanx Wayne - It's about what I expected. The mrs is bringing a supply of benzodiazapines (and reading material - girlie mags - Southern Living, Goodhousekeeping, etc) and I'll prewarn her about what to expect. As for me, I can sleep in a tree. It's cozyville I want to see! I've got many pre-build questions. I feel like I know many of you already fm spending sooo much time on the two canard sites. I've collected two notebooks full of chapter 4 tips. My last creation was an F8-L Falco, but it was all birch and spruce - and two seats so glass is new to me. Looking fwd to the trip. Again thanx for the response. ;)

If she gets bored in Canardville, she can relax and read at the wonderfully-appointed lodge. Nice interior and great outdoor spots along the lake. There's also a little lounge area in the small terminal building at the runway.

But canards are contageous. My bet is she'll be infected.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

But canards are contageous. My bet is she'll be infected.

As I recall, my wife Debbi, aka: Epoxy Lady, was a bit reserved about the whole plane building thing until her first RR. Afterwards, we've had times when we'd be enjoying TV in the evening, and she'd look over and say:" Aren't you going to work on the plane tonight? No lie. :thumbsup:

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

When my wife read the response from the "St Claire" motel inquiry, I got the Look over the top of the reading glasses. You know the look ... it ended with, "you've got to be kidding", - then a long pause - then, "whatevermakesyouhappy" ;) .

See you there.

HiGeez