Well, it finally happened.

I ordered the plans and DVDs from Al @ Aerocad, so I guess I've now moved from being a lurker to being a builder. I have a garage that needs about 1.5 hours' worth of cleaning out and then I have to build the workbench, glass cabinet, etc., and yet even with all of that "work" to do, I can't wipe the stupid grin off my face. :D

As I do more research I'll likely look at following what Jon and others have done, i.e. purchase the plans from AS&S for comparison/CYA, but I'm still not sure of the necessity. I know the arguments about a few hundred vs the price of the aircraft, but those few hundred can buy some tools up front. ;)

Anyway, I didn't mean this to become a discussion about Aerocanard/CozyIV, I just wanted to share the stupid grin. So: :D

daniel

Congratulations! Your last post sounded like you weren't even on the fence!

I have a garage that needs about 1.5 hours' worth of cleaning out...

Sounds like a magic garage, or brand new home construction. ;)

...and then I have to build the workbench, glass cabinet, etc...

You can build all of chapter 4 without much more than a flat board. That's what I did pretty much -- flat board on a table, and got to see what I *really* needed for going forward. I have no idea what would have happened if I built the real table and cabinets, etc.

Good news! Best wishes, and good job on graduating to the next level of the club.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Sounds like a magic garage, or brand new home construction. ;)

Well, while my home is only a year old, I got a huge jump on cleaning out the garage when I had to get to the plywood to board up for Dennis. Most of what is left is boxes and plywood, which are going into the attic with a few other bits an pieces.

You can build all of chapter 4 without much more than a flat board. That's what I did pretty much -- flat board on a table, and got to see what I *really* needed for going forward.

I was figuring I'd pick up a door and some sawhorses to get started, so I have a flat surface that isn't the floor. Now that I've heard this, I'm definitely going to go this route! It will also give me time to get plans and/or materials to build a good workbench that will be airplane-only. :)

I was lucky when I was house-hunting - I found one that has a 2-car garage with an additional 54"x132" work area on one side. I think I'll wind up building a workbench in that area, put the glass cabinet/etc. in there, and have one entire 'car slot' open for the aircraft. (I'll move the other car when necessary!)

Now to get home so I can start! :D

daniel

Well, while my home is only a year old...

Congrats to you on that!

I was figuring I'd pick up a door and some sawhorses to get started, so I have a flat surface that isn't the floor.

I did one of those for another workbench for building model airplanes -- would work perfectly for airplanes, but make sure you get one wide enough for all the bulkheads. I used a 5/8" thick piece of 4' x 4' birch plywood on an old table -- any table will do.

I was lucky when I was house-hunting - I found one that has a 2-car garage with an additional 54"x132" work area on one side. I think I'll wind up building a workbench in that area, put the glass cabinet/etc. in there...

Your house was designed to build a Cozy in the garage!

Now to get home so I can start! :D

Oh the pain.

Carry on!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV