Velocity Rudder Pedals

I'll be wrapping up my modifications to 'Blonde Streak' this weekend. After my gear up landing mishap I took the opportunity to install Jack Wilhelmson's nose gear retract warning system as well as replace my Steve Wright noselift with Jacks. While I was in the nose I moved the rudder pedals forward a few inches to give my feet additional clearance. I'd installed the Velocity rudder pedals and can't say enough how much I like them. So much better built that the plans Cozy rudder pedals and much easier to implement, especially if done during initial construction. I'd worked out the cost back when I installed them and they are actually cheaper that the stock rudder pedals as well! Anyway, I have a fellow Cozy builder (Dale Rogers) here in the Phoneix area machining me some new rudder/brake actuators and they should be ready to install this weekend. Much better that the sliding tube in tube that I had previously. I shamelessly stole the design concept from Steve Wright's StaggerEZ.

So, anyone wanting to perform a similar mod just let me know and I'll give you the scoop. I should have new pic's on my site in a few days as well.

Brian DeFord

Cozy MK-IV N309BD 'Blonde Streak'

So, anyone wanting to perform a similar mod just let me know and I'll give you the scoop.

Brian, I am very curious about the mod. I just happened to stumble on the Velocity pedal parts AND mention about using brakes during a crosswind takeoff on this page:

Due to brake steering requirements, crosswinds can extend take off roll. For a 15 knot crosswind component, multiply take off roll data by 1.25.

I know the rudders don't kick in until a specified airspeed, and that you'll still need to use brakes at lower speeds, but I can't help but second-guessing the EZ brake design from time to time.

I don't think I'd have a problem at all with the EZ brakes as-is, provided there's some sort of physical response for when you switch from rudder mode to brake mode (BTW, is this the point of full rudder deflection?).

I attached a picture of the Velocity pedals ($1,300 right now).

post-386-141090152984_thumb.jpg

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Wayne, I tried to put a link to your rudder pedals here, but couldn't find them for the life of me on your Web site. So... you can find them on this page in the Wayne Hicks section: http://www.canardzone.com/members/JonMatcho/csa_spring_fly-in_2005.htm

...these are not the "Standard" Velocity rudder pedals...

Thanks, and so I understand that the "standard" pedals operate the same, except the Velocity standard's hang instead of being floor mounted. Any idea on the cost of the standard velocity pedals?

Brian, are you using the standard velocity pedals, or the "Dash 5" pedals?

Yes, here are a couple of pictures, or you can check out my website (http://www.velocityxl.com/Fuselage.htm), but basically they hang down with a rudder attach cable, and the master cylinders behind. I've painted mine black and attached Sparco racing pedals to the factory system.

As you can see in the attached photo, the dash-5 has a separate set of pedals for the brakes (above the rudder pedals, sort of like Cessna toe-brakes), and has master cylinders on both sides instead of just on the pilot's side. The dash 5 system is $1300 as a full blown system or $1000 for a Velocity upgrader, not sure what the base system is but should be considerably less (you'd think it'd be the $300 difference, but I'd ask them to be sure). Just call them up and ask for the parts department.

http://www.velocityaircraft.com/Velocity%20Store/general_and_airframe_parts.html

The first pic is the Dash 5 toe brake setup, the rest are from my standard setup.

B

post-848-141090152989_thumb.jpg

post-848-141090152991_thumb.jpg

post-848-141090152993_thumb.jpg

post-848-141090152994_thumb.jpg

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com

Jon,

Standard pedals cost me $200 a year ago. You really don't need to go to the expense of the dash 5 setup. I have internal rudder belhorns, so with either the standard Cozy pedals or the Velocity pedals, once the rudders are fully deflected a spring takes up the additional travel while you push the brake cylinder.

Brian DeFord

Standard pedals cost me $200 a year ago.

Now I get the "$300 difference" in the message above. I don't know what the stock parts cost, but $300 for overhanging rudder pedals doesn't sound bad.

Pictures of my rudder pedal setup are in my Chapter 13 section: http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/waynehicks/chapter_13_5.htm. My contributions to this design are the little actuator arms that replace the sliders.

I have the "standard" pedals. I paid $250 in 1999.

I don't think I care for the new Dash 5 pedals. Nice hardware, nice design, but when you push the left pedal the right pedal moves backward by the same amount. Push the right pedal and the left one comes back.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Wayne's actuators are unique - I'll be interested in hearing how they perform in actual use. Its a clever, adjustable, lightweight design. I just installed a pair of new actuators in mine and I'll try to remember to get pictures today when I go work on them. I'm hoping to get the brake lines hooked back up and bleed the system later today (I'm waiting till it hits 100+ degrees so I can enjoy the heat reflected off the black asphalt!).

Brian DeFord

I have the "standard" pedals. I paid $250 in 1999.

I'm going to have to start actually reading your Web site. All this time I thought you fabricated them yourself. I'm still impressed with the setup.

...when you push the left pedal the right pedal moves backward by the same amount. Push the right pedal and the left one comes back.

That's a showstopper for an EZ in my book. Thanks for pointing that out!

...I'll try to remember to get pictures today when I go work on them.

Did you remember?

I'm waiting till it hits 100+ degrees so I can enjoy the heat reflected off the black asphalt!

Or did you suffer heat stroke?

Did you remember?

Or did you suffer heat stroke?

Yes to both! It was sure hot...but it took me 'til tonight to get them posted to my web site. See http://www.deford.com/cozy/improvements.html and follow the links near the end of the page where I talk about the rudders. I've also added some installation photos of the new gear motor and automatic extension unit if you follow that link. Here's a quick pic of the actuator.

post-994-141090152997_thumb.jpg

Brian DeFord

• 3 weeks later...

Am I allowed to do this?

I'm the person who machined Brian's actuator forks. I've been a home machinist for over 20 years, with prior experience in gunsmithing and a little more than a year as an apprentice in a shop that made aerospace fasteners (S.P.S. - 1970-71)

My garage equipment is state-or-the-art ... for 1942. In fact, my lathe is literally older than I am. I try to make up for those handicaps with my moto: "Cedat Fortuna Peritis".

Someday, I hope my output will fully live up to the maxim that I borrowed from the USPSC (well, actually, the SouthWest Pistol League, back then): "Diligentia Vis Celeritas". (I'm having a little difficulty with the "celeritas" part - it's called: "my day job".

For the most part, as I make stuff for my own airplane, I'll make them for others, with a level of QA that often is not evident in parts from Brock. Examples of what I'm already

capable of producing are at:

members.cox.net/rogersda/Products.htm

Regards,

Dale R.

(moderator, feel free to relcate this response to a more appropriate place if you feel so moved.)

Am I allowed to do this?

You're not only allowed, but I would encourage you to do so. Feel free to announce any products you have in the Marketplace section as well.

My garage equipment is state-or-the-art ... for 1942. In fact, my lathe is literally older than I am.

I inherited most of my grandfather's shop. It's fun, and for many tools there's no reason to upgrade. I also like the lack of plastic for the small parts that have the highest chance for breaking.

For the most part, as I make stuff for my own airplane, I'll make them for others, with a level of QA that often is not evident in parts from Brock.

Sign me up as interested. I'll keep this in mind.