WWW (Watch Waiter Work)

I finally managed to catch Waiter working on his plane, at least petting it as far as I could tell. I missed the Infinity gear being extended, which would have been cool, but not enough frames per second to do it any justice.

Oh lookie there... a helper.

Just saw the gear being raised, by hand, and now taped into place.

Neat stuff.

www.iflyez.com

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Tell me about it... I'm about ready to snap with the shape I'm in for building. I have a project plan I'm working through so that I too can have a garage with something resembling a space shuttle in it.

Once I'm done (this summer), my building will NEVER again be seasonal -- all year round!

Tell me about it... I'm about ready to snap with the shape I'm in for building. I have a project plan I'm working through so that I too can have a garage with something resembling a space shuttle in it.

Once I'm done (this summer), my building will NEVER again be seasonal -- all year round!

I built this shop (pole barn) last winter (2003), specifically with this project in mind.

Its a standard 24x32 pole barn, with 6 inch cement floor, 6 inches of insulation in the walls and ceiling, Sheetrock walls and ceiling, 30k BTU gas heater, Ethernet connectivity, Phone, Water, Electric, Cable TV.

(I think I just figured out why my wife went along with this plan) :confused:

I have about 10k in it, but I did all the work. I hired a couple guys to do the cement work. Also had a couple friends help when I put up the roof trusses. My brother came over and helped occasionally when I was skinning the outside walls. And a good friend helped shoot the inside with "knockdown"

It took about 4 months, in the dead of winter to build. (DAMN COLD) But it was worth it. We had a couple weeks around Christmas when the OAT stayed at -10 to -15 deg F. I was doing a lot of layups at the time and I kept the temperature inside the barn at a nice comfortable 75.

When I'm done with the plane, I'll Tear it down, NO NO, Just kidding.

It makes a good shop and a definite selling point when I decide to get rid of the house.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Its a standard 24x32 pole barn, with 6 inch cement floor, 6 inches of insulation in the walls and ceiling, Sheetrock walls and ceiling, 30k BTU gas heater, Ethernet connectivity, Phone, Water, Electric, Cable TV.

I want one like that! You have 6" cavities in your walls? I'm not sure I'm 'allowed' to have that much luxury in my garage/shop, but we'll see. You're missing a fridge.

And a good friend helped shoot the inside with "knockdown"

Is that just for looks? That's a spray-on texture surface, right?

It makes a good shop and a definite selling point when I decide to get rid of the house.

I wanted to do exactly the same, but I first had to knock down ~30 trees close to my house to make room, and now I need to grade and put a lawn in before there's a mutiny in my house. I ran out of money on the detached shop plan, but still aim to get there someday.

You're missing a fridge.

Nope, Its there, a small one just to the right of the big garage door.

Sheet rock is like finishing a LongEZ, you squeegee the mud (filler) on, then sand it off. When everybody's satisfied that the pile of dust weights more than what you put on, then your ready for paint. :D

Actually, this is a very good training exercise for finishing an EZ. (Sell that one to the Wife)

I'm pretty good at this. and came up with the finish after two iterations, AND NO SANDING. The trick is to put the mud on smooth, no drastic bumps or ridges. The high seams generally block out to about 12 inches on each side of the seam, nice gentle transitions and cover. If this were a house and I was going to paint rather than texture, I would need to block sand the second coat, and would probably have to do minimal touch up with a third coat

The guy that helped me spray the texture was impressed at the quality considering I did no sanding. There are some imperfections, but unless I point them out, you probably wouldn't find them.

ALSO, the texture is nice, because it looks good, AND covers most of the imperfections in the finish. I rented the blower for $50/day, and the texture material costs about $10 / bag. I needed two bags for walls and ceiling.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com