Yeanothernewbie

Greetings all,

It is a pleasrue to joinn this group. I have been lurking in the backround and have decided to finally come out of the hanger.

I have just sent in a deposit for an aerocanard SX, which I will construct from various kits. I understand that my kits will be the first built in the new location in MO and will be built by Jeff as he trains the new aerocad owner in the fabrication techniques.

Previously, I built a Dragonfly, from scratch, which unfortunately was sacrificed to the gods of engine failure near Peoria IL a little over a year ago. The survivability of that "incident" convienced me that I would rather be surrounded by Glass in a semi-reclined position should I have to repeat the experience.

I have been flying for about 38 years, this will be my ninth plane and second homebuilt.

I look foreward to, once again fill my lungs with epoxy fumes, fill my clothes with epoxy spills and the occasional awakening at 3 AM to do a necessary knife trim. (not to mention my wife's gentle words of encouragement which sound something like "What the hell are you doing now??")

I hope to learn a lot about the aerocanard/coxy/EZs from this forum and will contribute when I feel that I can make a contribution.

I am located in a northern suburb of Chicago and will do most of the major construction in my hanger at Kenosha Wi. (ENW). If there are any locals around, speak up.

I look forward to someday (soon) joining the ever growing flock of Fearless leader Rutan's glass dreams.

Rich (forgive the spelling-- no spell check)

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Rich, one could hardly call you a newbie. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome! It's good to see the SX version of the Aerocanard in production. I'm not sure if one has ever flown with that canopy option.

I look foreward to, once again fill my lungs with epoxy fumes, fill my clothes with epoxy spills and the occasional awakening at 3 AM to do a necessary knife trim.

I don't need to tell you not to eat the epoxy, but forget that 3:00 AM business -- get the Fein MultiMaster tool and NEVER EVER worry about timing a knife trim. This tool will save you substantial amounts of time.

Welcome!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

...It's good to see the SX version of the Aerocanard in production. I'm not sure if one has ever flown with that canopy option.

At first I thought that was a typo, but the E and X keys are too far apart for that. I know that FG is fixed gear, RG is retract gear, but what is the SX canopy option?

-- Len

-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283

Do you need a Flightline Chair, or other embroidered aviation accessory?

OK, so I was being a little dense. A quick visit to Aerocad's website tells me that it's the FG with a front opening canopy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that their prototype is completed yet. Since the description is in the future tense, one has to wonder what benefits or drawbacks this option has vs. what others have done.

I'm not sure if the canopy is the same shape. It appears that it may be wider and more blunt than the normal canopy. Larger rear windows as well. Does it have gull wings for the back seat? What is the performance difference, and what about leaking? These need to be answered, but it appears to be more in line with what I want to build (if it can be merged into a plans-built craft).

-- Len

-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283

Do you need a Flightline Chair, or other embroidered aviation accessory?

Thank you all for the welcome.

My understanding is that only difference is that the SX canopy is different. It is slightly larger and the windscreen comes more foreward on the fuselage giving more front seat percieved room. The rear windows are also different shaped. There is at least one being built at this time. They still have to make a plug to form the different windscreen.

Jon thanks for the fine fein suggestion. I will look it up. I kind of got used to those sleepless nights. It also gave me the opportunity to look over the layups that I had done hours before (many times in disbelief).

Rich

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Jon thanks for the fine fein suggestion. I will look it up.

Google this: "Fein MSX-636-2START Multimaster Start" I would recommend the 'start' model, because it's cheaper without the variable speed and many find that they don't use anything but the high setting. It shines when used with a high speed steel cutting blade to cut through layers upon layers of cured epoxy safely and with minimal mess/dust.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV