Autopilots

Bill Seibold

I would like some feedback from anyone/everyone who has installed a Navaid/Trio autopilot in a Cozy - curious as to servo locations - what works best. It seems there are several locations possible. Any thoughts - experience - rumors - educated guesses???

First, I have the Navaid Autopilot installed in my COZY MKIV. I don't know what works "best" for servo placement, but I've got mine mounted on the firewall, to the right of the engine looking forward, just above the cross pushrod between the belcranks. Works fine.

Second, there are very few canard flyers here - you'd get a lot better response to your question on the canard-aviators (and COZY) mailing list(s). There are hundreds of flying canarders on those lists, many of whom have Navaid/Trio autopilots. In fact, the principals of Trio (Jerry Hansen, for one) flies a canard and hangs out on the canard-aviators list. He's a very good guy.

Second, there are very few canard flyers here - you'd get a lot better response to your question on the canard-aviators (and COZY) mailing list(s).

Marc, first, thanks for your reply. Second, I agree that there are more flyers participating in the discussion at the Yahoo Canard Aviators and your COZY mail list.

I'd appreciate it if you would consider offering your expert advice without qualifying the content of this forum and its membership. New canard flyers are indeed joining this forum, and someday this generation of builders (me included) will catch up.

Finally, I've flown in Marc's plane and can confirm that his autopilot setup works nicely.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I'd appreciate it if you would consider offering your expert advice without qualifying the content of this forum and its membership. New canard flyers are indeed joining this forum, and someday this generation of builders (me included) will catch up.

I figured that would get a response out of you :-). I qualify the contents because it's a fact, and if Bill want to get a cross-section of user's responses, he's not going to get it here (or at the other canard web forum).

I pointed out two places where he CAN get it. If I had merely given him MY information, he'd have one data point, and no indication about where to get more. When there are web pages with information that people seek, I point those out. When there are mailing lists with information that people seek, I point those out. When there are people to speak to with information that people seek, I point those out. When the information sources become more diverse, and include the web fora, I'll be happy to point them ALL out.

Jon, why jump on Marc like that? What he says is true. Builders or pre-builders who google for canard information are sure to find this site. It only benefits others to know where to go to find almost 10 years of experience and how-to's. No need to have the panties in a bunch.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Jon, why jump on Marc like that?

I didn't mean to come across that way at all. All I mean to say is that you can provide all the external sources in the world, but I personally do not see the need to go out of one's way to qualify the membership here. Readers can think for themselves.

www.cozybuilders.org

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canard-aviators

www.ez.org

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV