Checking out in a Long Ez?

Hi all. I'm here in Massachusetts planning to buy a completed LongEz sometime soon. I'll be transitioning from a C172. Before making a comittment, I'd like to get some stick time in a canard.

So I'm wandering what a good approach would be. The LongEz has limited rear seat controls, but that would be good for initial in the air familiarity. Front pilot could then setup for in the pattern flying with go arounds. Later, the transitioning pilot would be up front doing slow taxi maneuvers. Then gradually working up to 45 knot front wheel only liftoffs. Ultimately, with safety pilot in back, a first takeoff is attempted.

How have nonbuilder/owner LongEz pilots made the transition?

Hi all. I'm here in Massachusetts .......

Where in MA are you? I live in Acton, and keep my COZY MKIV at Fitchburg.

So I'm wandering what a good approach would be..........How have nonbuilder/owner LongEz pilots made the transition?

Most get a lot of talking to, a couple of rides in the back, and then give it a go. It's not THAT hard. However, I've had requests from L.E. folks to consider giving checkrides to new L.E. pilots, as I do to new COZY pilots.

Drop me an email and maybe we can work something out.

Hi Marc,

I'm in Wellesley and fly out of Norwood. Fitchburg is an easy drive or flight. Is there much difference between the Cozy MArk IV and the LongEZ in terms of flight characteristics? I had not thought about it, but I guess a Cozy might be great for familiarizing a pilot to a Long EZ. Do Cozys have dual controls?