Building Long EZ ???

soloflight

Yes, it is entirely possible. Most of the parts and materials for the Long-EZ are carried over with the Cozy Mark IV design. I have Long-EZ plans and don't see anything that isn't available today, or could be fabricated. Is there any particular part or material you're concerned with?

Contrasting those words of encouragement, I do feel that you WILL have a harder time with building a Long-EZ than you would a Cozy. Most of the Long-EZ community is flying rather than building, I believe. As a result, builders are scarce (I know 1). The Cozy community, on the other hand, consists mostly of builders, for which I know several, and 1 nearby where I live.

I'm not saying building a Long-EZ cannot be done, just more work for you and the reason why I chose to build a Cozy.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Thanks Jon,

I can't decide either a cozy or the long ez, I like the idea of building the cozy due to the builder support as well as being able to carry more than one person or at least more cargo than the EZ. :) I've been looking at all the information I can find on building and I have to admit even though I consider myself quit the handy man building an airplane seems a little much. I get inspiration by reading web sites such as your and the others who have choosen to take on the task.

Erick

The skills and materials required to build a Long-EZ or a Cozy are essentially the same. If you're at all handy, then you should be able to pull it off. I don't see why not. I know a number of computer "geeks", such as myself, who haven't done much in the way of using saws and sandpaper. This has been the most crafting I've done in decades, and will be for the next several years. It's not hard.

Aside from the 1+1 vs. 2+2 seating configuration consideration, your best bet may be a Cozy, especially if you are concerned with being able to build. For example, if you ask, "What does the 4th sentence in Step 3 Chapter 4 mean?" to both builder groups, I think you'll find several answers from active Cozy builders, but Long-EZ builders might have to pull their plans out from storage. Either that, or you'll get fewer responses from Long-EZ builders than you would Cozy builders.

You can do it either way.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I've been looking at all the information I can find on building and I have to admit even though I consider myself quit the handy man building an airplane seems a little much.

Erick

You need to see what it's like, and if there's no-one locally, just do it!

I've been exposed many years ago to most building skills, and am handy, but not a "fine craftsman". I design computer systems and processes and type most of the day.

My wife can't understand how I can "work on one project for 3-4 years" - she's the craftsperson making jewelry and glass pieces!

IT'S NOT ONE PROJECT - and it's NOT AN AIRPLANE for quite a while!

It's about 300 separate projects using similar techniques that ultimately look like an airplane - and each one is described in amazing detail in the plans.

Some of these projects take a couple of hours, some take a couple of weeks. At the end, you can fly the results! Some you'll need help with, most you can do alone.

From what I do all day long, it is unbelievably relaxing! A complete mindset change!

/dan

• 1 month later...

I am almost finished with a Long EZ in Suffolk, VA. I have had great builder's support through the yahoo.com canard builders email list.

I't easy, no problem (OK, it takes a little work). Just get started and see what develops. I can help you if you need it.

Steve Volovsek

Suffolk, VA

757-538-8992

Well I have made the choice to go with the Cozy MKIV I have already received plans from ACS #1330 and have purchased an electric front retract, front strut and nose gear assembly from a builder that decided to discontinue with his project. I am also working on the purchase of Infinity retracts from another builder. All this is going on while I am in the middle of buying a new home with a 3 car (aka Cozy Hanger) garage... I hope to get started building sometime after the first of 2005.. :D

I am so excited to begin,

Erick

Hi Erick,

Congratulations on your decision. Infinity retracts eh? Wow, you have a lot of gazebos to invest this early on that sort of commitment. Cozy Girls have the lead on Infinity retracts. Stay in touch with them.

Steve

Long EZ nearing completion in Suffolk......