LAST-A-FOAM® is what

Don Woodward

What can be used instead of LAST-A-FOAM® ? Can you use Urethane foam of the same density? or higher density?

Short answer, "no." Check out the FOAM section of Chapter 3 (page 6). There the plans state, "It has properties somewhere between urethane and PVS. Its peel strength and toughness is better than urethane." There are several other factors mentioned, which leave me convinced to use this foam only.

With all that said, I'm sure it's possible to substitute other materials after carefully considering many factors. For example, some builders have substituted aluminum for the Instrument Panel bulkhead. However, for other Last-A-Foam parts, you'll likely be much on your own.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

U4, you have identified one of the "EZ monopolies". There are a handful, but it's not as if the entire community is blind to the consideration.

Last-a-Foam® (AKA "Clark foam") is a wonderful material at a reasonable price, IMO. I'm not worried about this particular component, as it can be re-engineered relatively easily.

The component that I do worry about, from time to time, is the main landing gear. I understand that is only available from Feather Lite. If they were hit by an earthquake... ???

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV