New plans owner

Hello, My name is Mike, and I am a Cozy addict.

... uhhh... sorry wrong forum. :D

Well the plans arrived. I am plans #1294. Thumbing through all of that material sure is intimidating. :scared:

Just one step at a time right. :) Anywho I need to get serious in finishing my sons playground, my rowboat, replumbing the hummidifier, and finish up the flower bed. Then just clean up the garage, build a table, build a epoxy box, build a fiberglass box, and figure out where the money for the first set of material is going to come from. :irked:

I'm 28 now maybe I should make a resonable goal for a first flight on the .... day I retire!! :o Ya that sounds resonable.

Mike T

Hello, My name is Mike, and I am a Cozy addict.

Hello Mike. :)

Congratulations! It is overwhelming at first to receive 10lbs of plans, but that will soon pass. Chapter 3 is good reading (as are 1 & 2), along with the video -- did you get one BTW?

Anywho I need to get serious in finishing...

Ack! You sound like I did when I got my plans back in August 2003. The path along the way is another story, but on May 1, 2004 I finally said, "enough, time to setup shop!"

...my sons playground, my rowboat, replumbing the hummidifier, and finish up the flower bed. Then just clean up the garage, build a table, build a epoxy box, build a fiberglass box, and figure out where the money for the first set of material is going to come from.

Since I can thoroughly relate to this quandry, please allow me to help you through this process:

• my sons playground -- okay, that will make Wife and family happy, so do it.
  • my rowboat -- that may do the same, but I would merge this project with the Cozy. You have/need a shop anyway for this, no? Also, I hope it's a fiberglass boat. :)
  • replumbing the hummidifier -- postpone 'till winter, when there's a humidity issue.
  • finish up the flower bed -- I'm lucky to have Wife take care of the yard "pretties". Unless you really like flowers, have her suit up and get into the critical path on this.
  • clean up the garage, build a table, build a epoxy box, build a fiberglass box -- attack the garage now. That will make Wife happy, but be sure to give her the impression that it has nothing to do with the Cozy. ;) After that, build a table and consider NOT building the other stuff until you get materials in hand. You don't need that stuff for Chapter 4.
  • figure out where the money for the first set of material is going to come from -- less golf or skiing this year? Embezzle your son's allowance? Mac and cheese? www.mikescozydonations.com?
Welcome to the club Mike! I just might be cutting foam this weekend myself, and it's great having another building at nearly the same time, give or take.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Hello Mike. :)

along with the video -- did you get one BTW?.

Nope no video. I looked through chp 3 and 4 last night. They don't seem to be too hard. If I focus on one step at a time I'll do allright I think.

said, "enough, time to setup shop!"

If only I could. :rolleyes:

my sons playground -- okay, that will make Wife and family happy, so do it..

Yep, when the weather is good I try to work on it. Main fort is done just need to finish the swingset. Should be a weekend's worth of work. But with just 4 days this month without rain it should take me another month to find that much time.

my rowboat -- that may do the same, but I would merge this project with the Cozy. You have/need a shop anyway for this, no? Also, I hope it's a fiberglass boat. :).

For the boat I just move the cars out of the way once in a while or work in the yard. Its a D4 dinghie from www.bataeu.com. Plywood coated in epoxy with fiberglass reinforced corners. I'm nearly done. Another days worth of work probably. Take should take hmm.. 3 to 4 weeks.

replumbing the hummidifier -- postpone 'till winter, when there's a humidity issue..

A ya, but because I didn't have room for a hummidifier I had to cover the dust pad with a duct. Now to clean the pad I have to remove the hummidifier. Once down I might as well try to attach better than I did the first time.

finish up the flower bed -- I'm lucky to have Wife take care of the yard "pretties". Unless you really like flowers, have her suit up and get into the critical path on this..

I hate flowers, but I hate weeds worse. The bed is so badly weeded that I need to dig it out and place in weed barrier fabric. My wife could care less about weeds or flowers so the only way to get it done is to do it myself.

clean up the garage, build a table, build a epoxy box, build a fiberglass box -- attack the garage now. That will make Wife happy, but be sure to give her the impression that it has nothing to do with the Cozy. ;) After that, build a table and consider NOT building the other stuff until you get materials in hand. You don't need that stuff for Chapter 4..

Without the epoxy and fiberglass cabinets, where do I store this material? I thought I should get these done first.

figure out where the money for the first set of material is going to come from -- less golf or skiing this year? Embezzle your son's allowance? Mac and cheese? www.mikescozydonations.com ?

Okay currently taking donations!!!

Welcome to the club Mike! I just might be cutting foam this weekend myself, and it's great having another building at nearly the same time, give or take.

Thanks

Mike T

For the epoxy box, find an "abandoned" fridge or upright freezer with shelves. Add light bulbs and thermostat. Done. (pick up at side of road or re-cycling center or dump - they're usually happy to part with them!

For the glass, hang the rolls on the wall with a pair of brackets each. Cover with 6mil plastic. Done.

Table: 3x 4x8 -5/8 sheets melamine coated particle board (pref not white!), 1 cut in half.

5x 1x6"x12' pine boards, 4x4 or 2x4 for legs (ideal height about 36" for me - YMMV)

4 of the 12' boards run full length after cutting to 11'10", remaining cut for ends and cross-support. Sheet top and bottom so joints are at opposite ends. Voila - a table! You can go fancier, or just balance the legs inboard about 16" from the ends and shim to level.

If you have the space, another "cheap" foldable 6' table (depot) can be helpful for the tabletop tools if you have them. Also works for cutting glass, OR just mount the glass at the end of your build table!

Then concentrate on building airplane, not facilities!

/dan

The first 21 chapters don't really require much more, and then you don't need it anymore.

A

/dan

Without the epoxy and fiberglass cabinets, where do I store this material?

Here's an interesting thread on the discussion of these items.

To get started with building bulkheads, I bought a 3' x 4' sheet of 3/4" plywood. You can put this on anything and have a good work surface.

For tables, I am seriously considering the design from EAA Chapter 1000, but until then, I have my 3x4 sheet. Bulkheads, here we come!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 4 years later...

I purchased my Cozy plans almost one year ago, and I am just now gearing up to start my build. I live in a 3 story townhouse with a garage door in the unfinished basement (aircraft factory) with just enough room to build. I have spent the past year studying, reading and buying tools and equipment. I intend to purchase as many chapters as I can afford with my tax refund this year to get started.

I am in the process of procuring materials to build my table. My place of employment uses a 3/4" MDF that is faced on one side (to be the non work surface) with a gray, textured non-slip PVC surface, and the other side is smooth, white melamine. The company regularly discards pieces as large as 4 foot square, and they are very generous when it comes to scrap materials. I intended to use 3 pieces 4' x 4' for each side of my work table. I was uncertain how the melamine and epoxy would interact, so I searched "melamine" here and this was the only thread that came up. I was glad to see that melamine was recommended, but dismayed and left curious by the recommendation against white.

So, my question is quite simple. Why not white? If I can get it for free vs. who knows how much from elsewhere, why not use the free stuff? Most of the other fixtures in my shop (a rolling toolcart/workstation, fiberglass and epoxy storage solutions, industrial strength outlet strips, etc) were also free and I would like to continue this trend, but not if it will cause significant troubles or inconveniences down the road. I was planning to pick up the MDF later this week, so some input here would be greatly appreciated.

The Toothless Hillbilly