Sticky (situation) stuff....

cncdoc

After reading all the ballyhoo about the "Sticky Stuff" epoxy pump/dispenser, I decided to plunk down the dough and buy one. Since I am using the MGS system (also much ballyhooed), I have the advantage of using the fast or slow hardening activators. I can also mix the two for any combination of fast or slow.

However, what if I have the hopper filled or containing my favorite mix, and I want to speed up or slow down the cure time. How do you proceed?

Very curious indeed.

:confused:

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

I suppose you could suck it up with something like a turkey baster....

Up until now (chap 5, just before the big inside layup) I have been using all fast hardener. It has been OK, but I found the seatback to be about the largest part I want to be using all fast on. For the sides I've ordered 4 litres of slow and will mix it 25% /75% slow/fast. Also its getting warmer around here and I can see using this ratio for the summer.

Actually I'm glad I ordered all fast to start with. It has made me efficient in doing lay ups. I don't sweat it if my fibers are exactly 45 degrees, or try to make everything perfect. Not that I haven't made mistakes, but I treat them as learning experiences.

Rui Lopes

Cozy MkIV S/N: 1121

Just don't keep the hardener side really full and add as the work of the day progresses

Keep the hardeners in the hot box so that they stay nice and toasty warm

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

One point about keeping the levels low. This is what is recommended by MGS. When I was talking to them about crystallization issues they recommended storing both the resin and the hardener in the sealed containers as much as possible.

Due to some miscommunication they thought that I had left some hardener in the pump for 6 months without using it. This possibility concerned them greatly. They recommended only putting the amount needed for a session in the pump. I think this is overly cautious, but it still makes good sense to keep only 3-4 sessions supply in the pump (ie. what you can reasonably use in a couple of weeks or so).

Rui Lopes

Cozy MkIV S/N: 1121