Whoops...

marbleturtle

I received an e-mail that I decided, along with my response, to make an open letter for everyone's consideration.

Response:

I apologize if I have offended you. I truly enjoy the site and have nothing but respect for the work of you and the members through this and there own sites... save one. I suspect that this one individual is the true source of indignation. The fact that this individual appears to deliberately seek out my own light-hearted entries for ridicule and rebuttal may have escaped your attention. No matter. I handle it in my own way which brings us to the subject at hand, the offensive post. The truly offended is obviously more adept at matching equations than matching wits, which brings us to the last resort of the witless... censorship. I am actually in favor of censorship in the case of language. Foul language has no place in a valid exchange of ideas. I will be happy to edit my post and remove any language deemed offensive. But I however will not edit nor remove the general intent of my post, to illustrate simplistically and with absurdity a previous post in rebuttal to yet another post I had made earlier... one that I found not just offensive but, although correct in calculation, wrong in application. Nor will I demand mediation or censorship of what I found to be wrong and hostile in intent. I will simply exercise my own free speech in turn.

I wish to stress again my utmost respect to the other members of this forum and there genuine desire to help those of us who are about to traverse the threshold of such a vast project. (Especially John Slade who has an excellent web site to share... who I hopefully did not offend). If the complaints continue to be an excess burden in administering this forum, let me know and I will simply step down and become an anonymous observer.

----- Original Message -----

Wrom: EUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULH

To: <trpeters@alltel.net>

Cc: "'John Slade'" <sladerj@bellsouth.net>; <marc_zeitlin@alum.mit.edu>

Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 8:06 PM

Subject: Postings

> Ref:

> -------------------------------

> marbleturtle

> Member

>

> Registered: Dec 2002

> Location:

> Posts: 77

> Holy Crap! Thank you sir! I was about to make the biggest mistake of my

> life! I had been considering a turbo diesel with 178hp at 2700 RPM. Now

> I see the error of my ways! The lineal force of HP is so much more

> important that the rotational force of torque. I can clearly see now

> that I need to get one of those new non-turbo Civic Si engines with the

> 182 HP MSL at 8600 RPM with a 3:1 PSRU thingys... just think of the

> torque multiplication of one of THOSE PUSR... wait, I mean HP

> multiplier. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought HP wasn't

> the only engine consideration for "us aviators".

>

> Thank GOD you took the time to wander over from your web site to

> straighten out all us ignorant bastards on this message Forum. I for one

> will sleep better at night.

> ------------------------------

>

> MarbleTurtle,

> When I set this forum up, it was my desire to create an alternative site

> builder could share information. A site which is real time and free of

> censorship.

>

> Your posting on the forum is out of character with the intent of why I

> spent so many frustrating hours getting and keeping the site up. I

> don't understand your ill feeling toward other members of the group, but

> I personally was shocked and offended by your posting as I am sure

> others were.

>

> I would also caution you to treat other members of the group with respect. I feel all of us have something valuable to contribute to the forum. Please keep your contributions on civil level..

>

>

> Nick Ugolini,

> Administrator

>

This ain't rocket surgery!

Dear Marbleturtle:

<you said:> The fact that this individual appears to deliberately seek out my own light-hearted entries for ridicule and rebuttal may have escaped your attention.

---> His rebuttal was to correct some innaccuracies in your postings.

<you said:> Foul language has no place in a valid exchange of ideas.

---> Foul language isn't limited to four-letter words. Rhetoric and incorrect information, no matter how "witty", is foul enough in this forum.

<you said:> I wish to stress again my utmost respect to the other members of this forum and there genuine desire to help those of us who are about to traverse the threshold of such a vast project.

---> MT, I think we're all trying to help you, but you gotta want to be helped. The person you may not like very much may give you the best advice and facts. If you truly desire help and understanding, then I recommend you listen more than rebute?

<you said> Especially John Slade who I hopefully did not offend.

---> You can't offend John. I've tried for years without success :-)

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

Judging by your response and others, the concesus is that I have been seriously out of line with several of my posts.

Ever since I started taking medication at Mother's insistance, my desire to ginsu women taking showers in the family motel wearing my Mother's Sunday best has fortunately been curtailed, but I can't help noticed that my own personal sense of humor has been ever so slightly skewed.

Okay... to keep the peace, I shall from this day forward never... uh, wait... lost it, oh yeah... never use wit, absurdity, or ridicule another member to make an otherwise valid point (other than that which is self depricating and therefore inoffensive to anyone except myself).

I will in short, play nice. :)

This ain't rocket surgery!

>> Especially John Slade who I hopefully did not offend.

> You can't offend John. I've tried for years without success :-)

Go ahead. Pick on me when I'm out of town for a day. Wayne's right. I haven't been truely offended by anyone or anything for many years -I've been p.ssed off lots of times, but never offended. :D

By the way - Wayne's also right in saying he's been trying to offend me without success. It's unfair, I know, but Wayne's SUCH an easy target. Who else do you know who's multi-million dollar "homebuilt" blew up on its first flight? :eek:

>I will in short, play nice.

Thank you, MT. I do think you were a bit off track with you're sarcasm. Marc is one of the few contributors here who's actually completed the course and flown something. For that alone he deserves respect. Not a morning salute, perhaps, but definately respect. His post didn't strike me as condecending and I, for one, would like to hear much more of what he has to say on matters canardian, albeit in a somewhat more open discussion format than that which we tend to have over on his list. In essense, I feel that the "Cozy list" has gone a bit stale, and I'm all for livening things up over here so long as we don't loose valuable assets like Marc in the process.

I, with others, will appreciate the attempt at self control.

But - please dont stop taking that medication. While not entirly approving of people bashing, I feel compelled to admit that I enjoy you're sense of humor. But then - that's just me - I'm British - birthplace of the Monty Python Parrot Sketch et al.

>person you may not like very much may give you the best advice and facts

That's very true - and the converse can also be true. Example in point - I don't have a damn clue what I'm talking about half the time. You're mission, should you choose to accept it, is to decide which half is which. (...and please tell me when you find out).

I appreciate MT's second post for another, perhaps more serious reason. There's no place for ego in aviation. Ego causes embarrasement and pressure to fly when the weather's bad. Ego can cause a builder to avoid looking dumb and skip on by a problem or error without asking for input. Ego can cause a pilot stuck over-the-top to punch through rather than admit to ATC that he screwed up.

Pride is good. Ego is bad.

By the way. I'm glad you enjoy my web site, but don't miss out by skipping Waynes superb site - His chapter on how not to build a canopy is especially enlightening. ;)

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

I think this is just the problem my wife and I ran into the last time I was in the Middle East. The only way for us to communicate was by a chat program called ICQ and by email. We almost ended up in a divorce because what I thought was funny and was smiling about on my end, she saw as an insult or an insensitive comment. She couldn't see my body language or hear the inflection in my voice to know that I was teasing her with my dry sense of humor. Needless to say that, from then on, when I am trying to express my humorous side I have to go out of my way to show that it is meant in jest. I am not a very good writer so a lot of times I have to use the :D or the :mad: to get my point across. If internet communication has a downside, this is the big one on my list.

Jake

p.s. Multimillion dollar homebuilt blew up? Sounds like there is a big story behind this one :D