Cart before Horse?

danieldo

Just ordered my plans today (no plans number yet). I don't expect to start building for at least a year as I've been recalled to active duty with the Army. Flight training is likewise on hold until I have spare time. I do have a membership in EAA. So, how do I go about starting my project? Do I need to get with a local EAA chapter? Building has to be more than just ordering the raw materials. I've read a couple of books on composite design but I'd like to get some hands on experience. I'm currently on Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Congratulations, Dan.

You don't HAVE to contact anybody. You can just order the parts and start building. However...

The EAA have tech councilors who can be very helpful if you can find one that knows composites. This will need to wait till you're settled in one place. I strongly recommend looking for other builders in you're area. Visit them and provide slave labor in return for a learning experience.

In the meantime join the Central States newsletter http://www.canard.com/csa/ this will give you something to read while "sitting in the sand".

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

There is one main thing to learn, one important tool to acquire.

The desire to finish

Don't stop building.

Don't think about flying the plane, that will happen if you just sit back and enjoy the build.

It's the coolest hobby i can think of, enjoy it!!!! It isn't work, it's play. Is it challenging, yes, all accomplishments are, can you do it, YES. Will you make mistakes, undoubtedly, will you catch them, YES. Will they be costly, probably not.

ENJOY THE BUILD.

I've said it, hell I've shouted it, the plans are so good they tell you when to go pee(they really do), OK, i mean visit the restroom. Everything you need to know is in them, forums and groups like this are fun and appear to be needed and are needed for other planes, both kit and plans, but, for the cozy they are window dressing.

Please tell us when you get in and make "plane noises" you must follow traditions, think it's silly, who among you hasn't done it with a big fat grin on your face???

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Originally posted by danieldo

I don't expect to start building for at least a year as I've been recalled to active duty with the Army

The movements and deployments are not stopping me. I'm on Ft. Hood, and certainly deploying if the current trend continues. Until I get the order to deploy in my hands, however, I'm going to continue as if nothing was happening. Judging by current world events, one of two things could happen:

1.) I order materials for the first few chapters and get started with the first layups, but they sit in my garage and gather dust for a year or so when I suddenly get deployed. A year or so later I'll come back with enough money in the bank to pay for the rest of the airframe outright.

Or...

2.) I order materials and start building, and finish the airplane while everyone who was waiting for the proverbial poop on the fan gets disappointed. Find a reason to put it off now, and you'll find another, and another...

Of course, those may not be options for you. Just wanted to throw my pennies into the mix.

Evan Kisbey

Cozy Mk IV plans # 1114

"There may not be any stupid questions, but I've seen LOTS of curious idiots..."

Dan,

If you're staying at Ft. Sam, think about visiting Ch. 35 at San Geronimo Airport on the NW side of San Antonio. We meet every 2nd Saturday, with a meeting this Saturday, 11 Jan at 1900 (meal at 1800). There are three Cozy IV builders in the chapter who are at various stages of construction. We'd be happy to show you around the building of a cozy.

Terry

Terry Winnett, Capt, USAF

Cozy MkIV #792

RAF Lakenheath, U.K.

Hi Terry,

This weekend is my one opportunity a month to get up to Dallas to see my wife and daughter. I leave for Dallas tonight and won't be back until Sunday night. I would however love to snoop around and get a feel for things. My cell # is 469-569-6085.

Dan