Bandsaw

macleodm3

I have been keeping an eye out for used tools to help with the composite construction process and have found a used 9 inch band saw with stand for $50.... would this saw be helpful in constructing the Mark IV? I realize a 14" saw might be better but is a 9" saw sufficient for the majority of the work? Its a Black and Decker and I'm not sure of the quality yet.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

I use a 10" bandsaw and it gets used a lot. There has been very very few times where a bigger saw would have been better.

I used it to trim all the bulkheads in chapter 4. I use it to cut foam and aluminum. I use it to cut various wood blocks for jigs, etc.

The 9" should be just fine, especially for $50. If it dies in a year, big deal, you got your monies worth.

Just make sure you can get new blades for that model. If not, don't buy it.

Rick Maddy

Denver, CO

Cozy Mk IV #824 - Chapter 18

http://www.maddyhome.com/cozy

blades are never a problem for any saw, just go to a commercial supplier and they will happily cut and weld a blade to any length.

All you have to know is the tooth design, number of teeth per inch and the size of blade you want.

For wood and foam 4 to 6 teeth per inch hard tooth/soft back hook tooth shape

For metal, bimetal and ask advice at shop for number of teeth.

Just take blade to shop and they will measure it for you

I just bought a 143 1/2 inch 6tpi hook hard tooth/soft back 3/8's inch blade for 15.00

I use this blade for 1/8" to ten inch thick cuts in wood.

For fiberglass/foam it will trash your blade FAST. it takes the set (spelled grind) right off the blade and it won't work for wood anymore, just keep it and use that blade for foam or fiberglass. Don't trash a bimetal blade on fiberglass, trash the cheeper blade

mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/