Is the Cozy 3 really a high performance aircraft?

rhoepp

In Canada the Cozy 3 is in the high performance category which is 250KIAS VNE or 80KIAS VSO. Searching around i don't see the VNE and VSO specs for the the 3 anywhere. Also the the 4 is not in the high performance? Is this because of gross weight difference? 

9 hours ago, rhoepp said:

In Canada the Cozy 3 is in the high performance category which is 250KIAS VNE or 80KIAS VSO. Searching around i don't see the VNE and VSO specs for the the 3 anywhere. Also the the 4 is not in the high performance? Is this because of gross weight difference? 

Your question is extremely unclear.

The COZY III (and COZY MKIV) are both "high performance" category aircraft (in Canada - NOT in the USA) NOT because of their Vne (which is 192 KIAS) or their Vso (which is approximately 60 - 65 KIAS) but because of their wing loading, per CAR 549.103(b)(2), which indicates that any aircraft without flaps and a wing loading > 13.3 lb/ft^2. Since the MGW of a COZY III, per the POH, is 1500 lb and the wing area is about 100 sq-ft, the wing loading is ~15, which is more than 13.3. Same with the COZY MKIV - MGW of 2050 lb and wing area just over 100 sq-ft, so a wing loading of around 20 lb/ft^2.

Marc, you seem to be pretty well informed bout the Canadian HP type rating requirement.  I'm new to the whole Canard scene and am considering a Cozy MK IV.  Are you aware of how Canadian pilots new to the type are getting the rating?  I have to assume finding transition trainers in Canada with the type endorsement is like a needle in a haystack.

Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, Karim Hemani said:

Marc, you seem to be pretty well informed bout the Canadian HP type rating requirement.  I'm new to the whole Canard scene and am considering a Cozy MK IV.  Are you aware of how Canadian pilots new to the type are getting the rating?  I have to assume finding transition trainers in Canada with the type endorsement is like a needle in a haystack.

Canadian pilots who want/need an HP rating will go to an instructor or a school that has an HP aircraft in which to train, and will get an HP rating (after they build up the 200 hour minimum time requirement, per CAR 421.40(2)(c) ). Once one has that, one will be legal to fly a COZY MKIV. 

One will also want transition training into a canard aircraft, and there are a few places in the US (and maybe Canada - I don't know) where that can be obtained. Or, you can just do it the old fashioned way and NOT get transition training - your insurance may or may not cover you until you have 10 hours time in type, but some folks don't care about insurance - many people didn't get transition training and most had no issues.

But I strongly recommend transition training.

Edited by Marc Zeitlin