PCB Panels/Placards

slk23

I used a PCB company to make a switch panel and some placards for my airplane. They came out really well for cheap. A fair amount of time learning the software (Fusion 360 and KiCad) and designing on my side but developing new skills is part of the fun 😊

placards.jpg

• Like 1

Nice.  That gives me a further idea.  The PCB material is sorta translucent...  It would take some experimentation but perhaps you could backlight the text by creating openings in the black solder mask corresponding to the text.  I don't know if the white silk screen print is opaque or not.  The registration with the solder mask might be hit or miss, since this is not the intended application.  

3 hours ago, Upali said:

Looks nice! Hopefully the lettering is durable against frequent use.

I'm putting a few layers of matte clear coat on the panels, especially the switch panel.  So far the most vulnerable area appears to be at the edges; the black paint can chip there.  Hopefully the clear coat will minimize that.

2 hours ago, thseng said:

Nice.  That gives me a further idea.  The PCB material is sorta translucent...  It would take some experimentation but perhaps you could backlight the text by creating openings in the black solder mask corresponding to the text.  I don't know if the white silk screen print is opaque or not.  The registration with the solder mask might be hit or miss, since this is not the intended application.  

That technique is used and if you do a web search you'll find examples.  Another good place to learn about PCB front panels is the modwiggler website (devoted to DIY synthesizers).

Edited by slk23