School Build Program

Congratulation on your the project!  Although the RV series of kitplanes make great school projects, I don't think that composite aircraft make good school projects.  There is too much work involved, too much dust, too many fumes.  You'll need an HVAC / exhaust system for this shop room that is not connected to the rest of the school.  Think "paint shop".

If you'd like to teach composite construction (mixing resin, cutting glass, layups) then this is a good canvas for your practice if the logistics of the shop are OK.

Edited by macleodm3

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem

3 hours ago, macleodm3 said:

Congratulation on your the project!  Although the RV series of kitplanes make great school projects, I don't think that composite aircraft make good school projects.  There is too much work involved, too much dust, too many fumes.  You'll need an HVAC / exhaust system for this shop room that is not connected to the rest of the school.  Think "paint shop".

If you'd like to teach composite construction (mixing resin, cutting glass, layups) then this is a good canvas for your practice if the logistics of the shop are OK.

No doubt and I appreciate the feedback. We're fortunate the school is collocated with one of the county's two Center for Applied Technology (CAT) which host the votech high school program. The shop is physically separate from the other school buildings and already hosts a marine tech program with fiberglass tech instructors, tools, and facilities. Kinda a unique situation so I thought I'd go for it.

That said a plane is NOT a boat and if your experience is that we would not be successful then please let me know what else I may need.

Also there's a second CAT facility where I'd like to try and set up a program for metal aircraft. They have greater emphasis on the skills necessary; that is as far as I know. I'm aware of the Eagles Nest program with the RV12s and Build-a-Plane which would give us certified aircraft. One of the intents is to get staff A&P certified and make that happen.

For now the educational elements of working with composites as well as aerodynamics and aerospace discovery is the major thrust.

Edited by STEMcoordinator

8 hours ago, STEMcoordinator said:

No doubt and I appreciate the feedback. We're fortunate the school is collocated with one of the county's two Center for Applied Technology (CAT) which host the votech high school program. The shop is physically separate from the other school buildings and already hosts a marine tech program with fiberglass tech instructors, tools, and facilities. Kinda a unique situation so I thought I'd go for it.

Good news that you already have knowledge of fiberglass construction precautions and have systems in place.  I agree that you could use this as an opportunity to grow that program.

That said a plane is NOT a boat and if your experience is that we would not be successful then please let me know what else I may need.

I won't say that you won't be successful... all you need to finish is effort, time, and money.  Most fiberglass projects never get finished but obviously many have.  The plans that all of us build with are wonderful and allow projects to end up flying.

Also there's a second CAT facility where I'd like to try and set up a program for metal aircraft. They have greater emphasis on the skills necessary; that is as far as I know. I'm aware of the Eagles Nest program with the RV12s and Build-a-Plane which would give us certified aircraft. One of the intents is to get staff A&P certified and make that happen.

That Eagles Nest program and the RV12 projects have a great chance of completion.  If you get started with your new composite kit project, it should be a wonderful platform for reaching your stated teaching goals and possibly completion.  Go for it!  Learn as you go... it should be awesome and good for you all for providing such unusual opportunities for you students.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem