N200LZ: EZ-Poxy Lifespan

TMann

I bought some EZ-Poxy (87) for building fuel related layups.

I used this for the front face of the CS Spar and will be building my rear seat thigh support/sump in the next week or so.

My next challenge will be the wings/winglets so it's going to be a while before I get to the strakes & wing tanks.

Can I extend the life of the epoxy and hardener by storing it in the freezer?

......... or should I just bite the bullet and expect to buy new when I get to that point.

I want to use vinylester for the final internal coat in the tanks but that has an even shorter lifespan when compared to the epoxy.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Have you opened the containers Thomas? My understanding is that there is no reason to suspect the epoxy as "out of date" or lost any of its' properties if it has not been opened. This is from the C-A list from the glue guru. Can't remember his name right now (Gary???).

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

Have you opened the containers Thomas? My understanding is that there is no reason to suspect the epoxy as "out of date" or lost any of its' properties if it has not been opened. This is from the C-A list from the glue guru. Can't remember his name right now (Gary???).

That would be Gary Hunter IIRC.

Yes, I just opened them when I did the front face of the CS Spar this week. I ordered them from spruce in July.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I bought some EZ-Poxy (87) for building fuel related layups.

I used this for the front face of the CS Spar and will be building my rear seat thigh support/sump in the next week or so...

...I want to use vinylester for the final internal coat in the tanks but that has an even shorter lifespan when compared to the epoxy.

I didn't think that vinyester resin and epoxy would play well together. Won't that create a bonding issue? I'd think that would leave a rather big mess after some time.

Best regards,

Bruce Sturgill

http://www.pursuitofflight.com

Won't that create a bonding issue? I'd think that would leave a rather big mess after some time.

Well I don't think we can expect the approach to building wing tanks as it was done 30 years ago to be as reliable given the fuel additives used today. John Slade experienced first hand that the MGS epoxy does not hold up (see this post.) However through some research he did uncover the methodology/materials used in building the storage tanks that hold this fuel.

Chris Barber has already shared his experience with Jeffco, I'm fairly certain that it isn't the solution that I want.

John is flying his vinyl ester tanks now and has done most of the pioeer research in this area.

I'm using the recommended epoxy for the internal area of my tanks and any effected areas and still plan on going the extra step of using some deck cloth and VE Resin for the fila seal.

........ but I digress ......... any opinions on extending the shelf life of the EZ-Poxy ........ or should I just build faster. :D

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

Well I don't think we can expect the approach to building wing tanks as it was done 30 years ago to be as reliable given the fuel additives used today. John Slade experienced first hand that the MGS epoxy does not hold up (see this post.) However through some research he did uncover the methodology/materials used in building the storage tanks that hold this fuel.

Chris Barber has already shared his experience with Jeffco, I'm fairly certain that it isn't the solution that I want.

John is flying his vinyl ester tanks now and has done most of the pioeer research in this area.

I'm using the recommended epoxy for the internal area of my tanks and any effected areas and still plan on going the extra step of using some deck cloth and VE Resin for the fila seal.

........ but I digress ......... any opinions on extending the shelf life of the EZ-Poxy ........ or should I just build faster. :D

at the speed you are building I don't see a problem. the resin last forever and really does not go bad. the catalyst does get darker with time but seems to work the same. I just made some parts with ten year old catalyst and the stuff worked fine. even when you make parts with new light colored catalyst ,the cured parts will turn dark with time. if you are planning on using VE on top of the EZ Poxy now would be a good time to make some test sample and soak them in a half full jar of the fuel. I believe the fumes from the fuel additives ( alcohols) do more harm the the liquid fuel

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

if you are planning on using VE on top of the EZ Poxy now would be a good time to make some test sample and soak them in a half full jar of the fuel. I believe the fumes from the fuel additives ( alcohols) do more harm the the liquid fuel

I have John Slade working on testing those samples as we speak :D

Actually it is the same material they use in the construction of the underground tanks.

They are thowing so much wierd stuff in auto fuel these days and there is no telling when that is going to end up on the airports. As for my plane, I haven't decided yet as to whether or not I will make it mogas compliant at this point ...... but I want to be ready.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory