It's official - I have Cozy Plans # 1583

Steven

It's now official. I'm the proud owner of Cozy Plans serial number 1583. They arrived yesterday (Fri 26 June '09). It was a bit of a surprise receiving them as checking the FedEx tracking site all week they were due to be delivered by or on Monday (29 June). When I checked the tracking site yesterday morning I was surprised to read the last movement being, left Derrimut (my local area) in delivery van for delivery (or words to that effect).

In the process I also ordered the following books:

How to Build Composite Aircraft - Martin Hollman

Understanding Aircraft Composite Construction - Zeke Smith

Advanced Composite Techniques - Zeke Smith

Vacuum Bagging Techniques - West System

Moldless Composite Sandwich Aircraft Construction - 4th Ed. RAF

I'm not impressed with the publishing of the Martin Hollman book. All photographs are of a grainy black and white quality and yet the cover is in colour. I can't comment on the content, haven't read it yet.

Anyway, I've got a lot of reading to do.

Steve Taylor

Melbourne, Australia.

Cozy Plans # 1583 (26 June, 2009)

I am not saying to ignore those five books, but you will learn more reading the first two chapters and then DOING chapter three. The experience and fun you will have will go much farther than the time it will take you to read the books.

You will have plenty of time to read later, its time now to start building. You will learn much more by doing, as opposed to just reading.

Kraig

I am not saying to ignore those five books, but you will learn more reading the first two chapters and then DOING chapter three. The experience and fun you will have will go much farther than the time it will take you to read the books.

You will have plenty of time to read later, its time now to start building. You will learn much more by doing, as opposed to just reading.

Kraig

I hear what you are saying (or should that be, "I read what you are writing") and agree that 'doing' is the best form of learning.

I'm not in a position right now to actually start the build though for me for all intents and purposes the project has begun. There are certain tasks that need to be done first and they will take some time.

I'm still to convince the minister for finance and war; she's not very impressed at the moment. In time I'll get her to see my way of thinking (hopefully).

Steve Taylor

Melbourne, Australia.

Steve,

Hollman's books are crappy in terms of production value but good in terms of 'core' content. I say 'core' content because as you will soon learn, he has a real problem with Rutan and the Long-EZ family. The info about techniques and materials and designing with composites is all good, but there is a lot of 'opinion' when he talks about Rutan designs.

I have Martin's composite book as well as his Modern Aircraft Design Vol. 1 - again, good info but he apparently has some very deep seated issues with the Long (and presumably the Cozy as well being a derivative), so does Jack Lambie who's book on Composite Construction for Homebuilt Aircraft is also a good read (except the parts about canards in general and the Rutan's specifically).

Just shows to go you that you can lead a horse to water but that doesn't make him a duck - IOW, opinions are like *******s, everybody has one.

Congrats on the plans and good luck with the build.

• 3 weeks later...

I came by the following from another forum, the relevant excerpt is reproduced here.

I don't recommend against many books, but please skip anything written by Martin Hollman. His technical stuff is a mixed bag of OK engineering and erroneous stuff (he takes shortcuts, uses fractions of the real analysis, etc.) , and you have to know which is which up front to be safe about it, which makes it pretty much useless to learn from. A classic case of someone violating the old adage "If you don't think too well, don't think too much". Avoid it.

The above post relates to a topic, 'What resources have you used?'

By posting the above I'm not suggesting for one minute that I agree or disagree with the comments. I've got one of his books and as I mentioned previously I'm not impressed with the quality of publishing but I'll read it anyway, along with other references I've got. In time I'll be able to, hopefully, make my own judgements.

Steve Taylor

Melbourne, Australia.

Steven,

As long as the literature resource is applicable, and from a source of authority on the subject, there's a lot to be said for a good read. Lots to be said about good contacts too; Gary Hunter is one. Even more to be said by having a respected mentor for your build who has done it before and produced a quality bird. Mine was Henry Schultz, the finest quality Long EZ on planet earth (yes, noticeably better than N3X George Nopper's - I've seen both).

The best resource without question is the education chapter in the plans. Consider it mandatory, highly educational and bloody good fun. It contains the fundamental requirements to build an airworthy version of these aircraft, from preparation, thru fabrication, thru quality inspection criteria and examples you can build in your kitchen without committing to a start on an airframe. Better to make your mistakes on a test peice. Many don't. Prior to the experimental category, we used to have to have them inspected by the regulatory authority before we could build.

Many books out there provide misleading or irrelevant information clouding the intent of the rutan build philosophy.. Stick to Burt's words, "your best workamanship is barely enough". Reminds me of the plastic model bulders out there who will tell you on the basis of what they read in a book, that a real sukhoi 35 is clearly better than a super hornet. A real determination would require data driving an export violation bigger than the net itself. real facts are needed in this game, not what's necessarily published.

Be cautious of builders (and flyers) on these forums who substitute materials to save a few bucks without bridge testing for equivalence without understanding the structural impacts. Get the facts from quality sources - there's good structures guys around - Marc Zeitlan hovers around this forum and provides a level head. There's a number of guys and gals out there that are excellent.

I avoided Hollman's information following his article 'Canard Aircraft Designs' which seemingly contains numerous inaccurate statements (both technical and otherwise). - extract: "Under no circumstances is the following an assault on Long EZ pilots or Mr. Burt Rutan who, beside myself, is one of the most prolific aircraft designers in the world today"... Prolific? maybe Kelly Johnson or the Wright Bros, not Mr Hollman. I was planning on wearing a cowboy hat and fake lambchops and sitting front row at his OSH forum that year... ;-)

Congratulations on the plans purchase. Get stuck into it as soon as you can.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm