• 1 month later...

I measured the size of my current gas caps and it was 3". These http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/lwsprlfc.php are 70mm, which is just a little under 3". Is it likely that my measurement was off by just a little and these would fit? Are the openings pretty much standard size?

Last question: we don't need vented gas caps because we have the fuel vent at the back of the plane above the passanger seat, right?

Roger,

I don't know about the link you posted but I saw you didn't get any (public, at least) replies to your post. I ahven't flown my long-ez yet but I do have some nice fuel caps that I would recommend to anyone. You must lift the tab and then twist it 90 degrees before the cap will come off,

They are a little more expensive, but in my case, my confidence in the cap more than makes up for the cost.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aerofuelcaps.php

I have model C36L but A36LFF should work too. You can go for the locking option too for a few more dollars. Not sure that's worth it.

Phil Long-ez Project Milwaukee

Phil

Long-ez project

Milwaukee

I measured the size of my current gas caps and it was 3". These http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/lwsprlfc.php are 70mm, which is just a little under 3". Is it likely that my measurement was off by just a little and these would fit? Are the openings pretty much standard size?

Last question: we don't need vented gas caps because we have the fuel vent at the back of the plane above the passanger seat, right?

do not use vented caps unless you want to have the fuel sucked out of the tank and leak all over the strake

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Roger,

If you change to a different type of cap you will have to cut out the existing filler neck and bond in a new neck designed for the new cap. There is no standard filler neck.

If you have the original Rutan style gas cap -- the one where the cap engages a small rod running across the filler opening -- then you may just need to replace the o-rings. There is one large and one small o-ring in each cap. I have some of these and will send you a set if you PM me your address.

Kin