Jump to content

TX Rotary Velocity update...post bad Jeffco

Recommended Posts

As y'all likely remember I had to redo my strakes following finding my Jeffco fuel tank sealant had failed a few months ago. A few days ago I applied some micro on my hopefully repaired strakes. I still have to smooth and pretty up the micro, but to get away from the fiberglass work fo a bit I decided to add fuel to my new strake tanks and calibrate my newly installed Atkinson fuel gages.


I had about 25 gallons that I added one gallon at a time, 1/2 gallon to each side. The Velocity has a center sump tank that the two strake tanks dump into. So I added fuel to each side in approximatly equal amounts to allow everything to equalize better. I filled the sump tank first and it took just under five gallons. Nothing seemed to leak confirming my air pressure test with ballons a while back.


Ok, here is the good part. On a wild hair I turned power on to the plane to see if the rotary engine would turn over after sitting dormant for the last few months with only an occasional hand rotation of the prop. Not only did it turn over, it started. Wahoo. I shut it down right away as I was not in a position to play.....uh, ummm, work on it. But I was tickled it started almost immediatly. After having to redo my strakes, this was a nice little experience for me.


I am off work tomorrow and I hope to get out to the hangar to clean it up after a lot of fiberglass work. Maybe I will "play" with the engine a bit too.:cool2::);)


All the best,



Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.



Live with Passion...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty dang FUN!!!!!

I am thinking, Engine NOISES....wow- what would that be like!!??

That would deserve all 2 of these guys...


Good on ya!

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)


Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information