Electrical Connectors

brendanw

I absolutely loathe spade connectors!!! Even with the expensive M/F spades, the proper size wire and the fancy crimp tool, the majority of the connectors can be pulled off of the conductor fairly easily. As a matter of fact, more times than not, they are pulled off when I'm trying to unplug the connectors (using the requisite multiple pair of needle nose pliers of course)

I'm now going through and replacing most of them with Molex plugs in order to improve the reliability of my electrical system connections. With the proper crimp tool, the Molex pins will not separate from the conductor ... you'll break the conductor before the pin will slide off!!! AND BONUS, you can easily disconnect everything without pliers and having to redo all of the connectors!!

Attached is a picture of what I'm going from (mess of 8 spade connectors) to what I'm going to (8-pin Molex connector) just for the EGT and CHT wires on each side of the engine. I'm using 2 and 3-pin plugs in a number of other places. Joy, joy, joy!!!

Maybe now I'll be happier with my Rocky Mountain Instruments micro monitor ... doubt it, but I'll try to smile

post-1452-141090164796_thumb.jpg

I absolutely loathe spade connectors!!! Even with the expensive M/F spades, the proper size wire and the fancy crimp tool, the majority of the connectors can be pulled off of the conductor fairly easily. As a matter of fact, more times than not, they are pulled off when I'm trying to unplug the connectors (using the requisite multiple pair of needle nose pliers of course)

I'm now going through and replacing most of them with Molex plugs in order to improve the reliability of my electrical system connections. With the proper crimp tool, the Molex pins will not separate from the conductor ... you'll break the conductor before the pin will slide off!!! AND BONUS, you can easily disconnect everything without pliers and having to redo all of the connectors!!

Attached is a picture of what I'm going from (mess of 8 spade connectors) to what I'm going to (8-pin Molex connector) just for the EGT and CHT wires on each side of the engine. I'm using 2 and 3-pin plugs in a number of other places. Joy, joy, joy!!!

Maybe now I'll be happier with my Rocky Mountain Instruments micro monitor ... doubt it, but I'll try to smile

It might b e a good idea to squirt a little antioxidation goo in the mating pins before joining them to prevent any corrosion. (I believe that the Marine industry and also possibly the auto industry does that.)

Why don't you like your Micro Monitor? I found the one that I used in the dragonfly to be reliable and good. (if you don't mind everything digital)

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D