Using Auto Racing Seats

Steve Innova

As you all know, I've substantially modified the fuselage of my MkIV, and as a result, it's neccessary to build a seat-back that extends above the longerons.

This requires me to re-inforce the seat-back and shoulder brace, quite substantially. While researching and experimenting with seat-design (the safety harness attach points are my main concern), I started to consider installing auto racing seats.

An example of a type of seat I'm considering adapting (or copying) is: http://www.jcwhitney.com/UNBEATABLE-PRICE!-GARAGE-PRO-LEATHER-RECLINING-RACING-SEATS/GP_2010408_N_111+10202+600007738_10102.jcw

What are people's thoughts on the subject?

Steve-

Not that I'd recommend an auto seat for a plane, but if you do go that route, I'd specifically look for something that's FIA homogulated. A lot of the so-called 'racing' seats aren't even close to what's required by standard safety bodies like FIA, which have rigorous limits in place for just about every aspect of the system.

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

I'm not sure what this would buy you. Racing seats do not actually provide any of the support structure for harness attach points. All they provide is a shell (fiberglass, kevlar, aluminum, etc) and some foam to cushion you. I don't see why this would be an advantage over what you already would have in the plane, which is a fiberglass structure, foam to cushion, and some fabric or leather cover. I've sat in quite a few racing seats, even drove a car (a Sprite) all the way across the country in one. They aren't half bad for support, but I wouldn't think of using them in the plane because they solve some problems that I don't have.

Kevin R. Walsh & Michael Antares

Cozy Mk-IV #413

N753CZ

Yeah on 2nd thought, not really worth adapting an auto seat. I'll copy a few of the headrest shape/features though.

Instead I'll go back to my original plan, and design / build the seatbelt anchors to FAR 23 Sec. 23.561 standards.

I'll open a new thread once I have the drawings finished.