Long vs Q-200

AeroE

I'm new to the whole homebuilt arena so I'm still in the research/general questions phase. So I'm sorry if my questions seem a bit elementary. It seems to me that there are a lot more Longs out there than Q-200. I was wondering why this is. I've never seen either one in person, is it a comfort thing?

Thanks

They are really different airplanes. The Long is a plans built and the Q-200 a kit built. There were probably a couple thousand sets of LongEZ plans sold. Wiki says the Quickie Aircraft Company sold about 2,00 kits. I would guess the difference in the number of flying aircraft boils down to the ease of building and customizing, the quality of the plans and follow on support, and the performance.

Carl

They are really different airplanes. The Long is a plans built and the Q-200 a kit built. There were probably a couple thousand sets of LongEZ plans sold. Wiki says the Quickie Aircraft Company sold about 2,00 kits. I would guess the difference in the number of flying aircraft boils down to the ease of building and customizing, the quality of the plans and follow on support, and the performance.

Carl

they are like night and day in the flying department. the Q-200 is very pitch sensitive and rolls about like a 747. very slow roll rate for a small plane. the long ez flies and feels like a small fighter but is easy to handle for the average pilot. the Q -200 is a hand full on landing the long ez is well ez to land. one is like a low powered toy and the other is better then a real airplane

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

Other than the physiognamy, and the handling differences, the main difference is that the Long is a cramped tandem seating 2 seater craft, and the Q is a cramped side by side 2 seater, or 1 with lots of room. With the Q, you, of of course, are looking through the prop, it is somewhat smaller, and if built with the option, breaks in 1/2 with little effort for trailering.

the Q has a blown canopy which means that tall pilots (body, not leg length will be somewhat close to the canopy as it comes up and over. The Long pilot sits in the middle of the blown canopy and if you don't move your head much there is room. Most Qs are tail dragger aircraft with the main wheels at the outboard aspect of the canard. The Long is nose dragger. The Q has fixed gear, the long retracts its nose gear only (usually). The Q has a shorter range, the Q operates on a smaller engine (o200)

The Q is easier to get in and out of since you are right at it's level and the plane is not "grazing"

If you are considering the Q and want a gentler handling aircraft similar to it, consider the dragonfly. If your significant other doesn't mind looking at your bald spot, and not through the windscreen, the Long is probably for you.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D