Brominated resins

WileEZ

I'm spliting this thread from: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4611 since this subject is not really on topic there.

The number of errors in that paragraph alone is enormous.

Astatine... yeah totally dude! And organic bromides are oxidisers?!?

BTW, halon is just another brominated gaseous alkane... and that means it will disappear quickly, in less than a second under the conditions found in an average airplane.

I didn't write that article, just quoted a small part of it! :cool:

> There's a lot of information about "non-brominated" resins which should give us a clue not to use it.

Sure, I was merely giving an example from my supplier, trying to point out that self extinguishing resins exist. If you find other resins which fulfill the requirements, use them. Other flame retardants are known and in use. Add a bunch of hydrated alumina to the resin, or throw in some red phosphorous (yes, contrary to common sense that stuff ist is a flame retardant too).

RED PHOSPHOR? Despite being a flame retardant, somehow I think I'll still pass on it!:yikes:

I don't think that brominated resins are a big problem here when they are used in the engine compartment. Poisonous gasses aren't an issue as long as the fire is behind the firewall and everything is airtight, or you can somehow let air into the cockpit.

Somehow I suspect that Jack would disagree with you! If it happened to Jack, it can happen to any of us. I personally would pass on it, anything to maximize my chance of survival!

But I do note there are other alternatives flame retardants, that supposedly does not generate poisonous gases, thus improving one's chances of survival.

What would be the best fire retardants to use, that will not kill the pilot/passengers in the process? Does not generate poisonous gases, does not in normal use compromise the structural strength and does not add excess weight. Or would just modifying the plans a bit be enough? I.e.: use galvanized/stainless steel instead of aluminum for the firewall. Make sure all through firewall holes are properly sealed. Don't make holes in firewall to accommodate something without sealing the cavity to prevent flame/smoke intrusion. Etc..

WileEZ

"All of my ideas are suspect until proven otherwise!"

My brother in law recently became a dealer in spray-in truck bed liners. This company also has a fire retardant product that is sprayed on as a top coat. Spec sheet claims it meets FAA criteria for aircraft interiors. The company rep that I talked to said the military uses it. I am sure that I read that it is self extinguishing.

The truck bed product is nice stuff. It can be tinted to almost any color or even color matched to the vehicle. The texture can be varied from smooth to quite rough. Very tuff stuff and maintains a nice shine to it. Not sure if the fire retardant product has these same properties. Need to investigate further. My thought was to coat the interior with this. It would be way more durable than that spackle paint that seems to chip rather easily.

> What would be the best fire retardants to use, that will not kill the

> pilot/passengers in the process? Does not generate poisonous gases, does not

> in normal use compromise the structural strength and does not add excess weight.

Simple answer:

Does not exist. ;)

Maybe change the thread title to self extinguishing resins?

• 1 month later...