CBarber Posted April 7, 2008 Share Posted April 7, 2008 Long stroy; short.....kinda Well, as some of y'all know, we rebuilt our original rotary from the parts we got from three e-bay 13b turbos. They came as a package, all three for $750.00. Dave Staten and I rebuilt it back around Thanksgiving of '04 and kept it stowed while working on the airframe. I got it running on May 30, 2007. I had run it about 8 hours, sending in the Real World Solutions engine computer for a couple of upgrads, running wires and improving systems over the past several monts....also, broke up with my S/O after ten years and got a bit side tracked in my build by the dating process The engine was becoming increasingly harder to start. Hmmmmm. Last month at the EAA; Houston chapter meeting I found out why. I had noticed a small coolant leak earlier in the day and resolved to find it later. At the meeting an RV-10 builder friend noticed a small amount of coolant on the exhaust pipe.....uh, oh. I think I know what that means. Sure enough, I pulled the plugs and there was coolant on the plugs. DOH! Yep, coolant was in the combustion area. I turned the prop by hand without the plugs in and shot coolant 3/4 way down my port wing. Damn, damn, damn. Ok, take a breath. The engine has to come apart. It was actually pretty easy. I have learned much about my engine and systems over the last few years. I knew I would have to replace the sealing O-rings, so I ordered a set from Pineapple Racing in OR. They insist they are extra heavy duty...well see. Upon inspection of the engine all the major pieces seemed ok. The all seemed well within specs. They really were not as good as I wanted, but ok. I thought about replacing the rotor housing with new due to some pitting in the water channels, but I did not want to wait for them to ship. While apart I decided to go ahead and port the engine to a medium street port. It all went well until I used the wrong portion of the template on the intermediate housing and ground off too much metal and thus now had a nice boat anchor. We think the reason we had a failure was that when we first got the engine started, we (meaning ME) allowed it to get way too hot. My temp gage was not working right and we are unsure how hot it really got. This is known to cause the O-rings to fail. Also, when it gets really hot the rotor housings can shrink causing problems. I also must admit that i was so thrilled to actually get it running at first I got distracted, thus not really paying enough attention to the temp. Silly, but accurate....and a bit expensive:o Anyway, since I trashed the intermediate housing, I decided to buy a new one, since I was gonna have to wait for it to arrive, I also choose to get new rotor housings. While on the phone ordering from Mazdatrix I figured why replace three of five MAJOR parts.....so, I went ahead and ordered the two end housing too......all ported to a medium street port by the pro's at Mazdatrix. Got all the new parts in last Saturday and over the last week I have made my aviation specific mods. Today, my best friend, Russell and I (with some help from my close friend and mechanical engineer Blaine, who owns a company that supplies A/C systems to the likes of Cirrus, Moony, Cessna/Columbia, Eclipse etc) finished the build. For those interested, I will be posting some pictures of the build. All the best, Chris Quote Christopher Barber Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom. www.LoneStarVelocity.com Live with Passion... Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.