What fuel valve is it?

youngmic

Hi All,

Can anyone identify this fuel valve out of my Vari-eze. The aircraft was built in 87 and the original builder has since passed away.

If anyone can identify it maybe you may know if it can also be serviced, as the 2 seals that are sealed with a spring held ball bearing have degraded. The result is that the header tank bleeds off into the mains.

post-4568-141090159704_thumb.jpg

Regards

Mick

Thanks Terry

I had a suspicion that it was out of a Cessna, but oddly it doesn't have any part numbers, serial number, or anything for that matter stamped on it. I dropped into a Cessna service centre yesterday, the service desk guys just gave the standard look and comment "no part number, no idea".

I will go back and try and speak with an engineer out the back, they may recognize it.

If I continue to run up against a wall I'll PM you some detailed photos so you can be sure it is what you think it is, then go from there.

Thanks Again

Mick

Thanks again Terry,

Looks like your on the money, I spoke with my old engineer on the east coast of Australia and he confirmed it as from a C172 and is sending a seal kit. My present engineer in Perth Western Australia is unavailable.

Not exactly a glowing endorsement for the counter jumpers at the Cessna service centre who failed to recognise what should be a fairly common part.

Does baffle me why no part number on it though.

Regards

Mick

Not exactly a glowing endorsement for the counter jumpers at the Cessna service centre who failed to recognise what should be a fairly common part.

Don't be to hard on them I don't think that valve has been used since 1985 so unless they have been in the trade a long time they won't know. This valve rarely needs any attention and most people I know don't take their old airplanes to a Cessna service center, most are to frugal (cheap) and get their local mechanic/engineer to take care of it.

Does baffle me why no part number on it though.

Many parts of that vintage had the part numbers ink stamped on them and that tends to disapper over time.

This is a much better valve that the plans valve.

Rebuild Hint: After you are done rebuilding the valve and leak checked it, DO NOT blow compressed air thru the valve "to make sure it is clean". You will likely dislodge one of the seat o-rings then you'll have to take it back apart. Been There Done That.

If you ever get to the USA look me up. I'm always at Oshkosh.