Open-EZ Lite?

vernstrickland

That would be a nice addition to the Open-EZ family! I too would be interested in a smaller scale EZ than even the Long-EZ. I have heard that some VariEze guys have incorporated the Long-EZ wing design into their planes as well as some other mods ala the Long-EZ.

Anyone else have any specific interest in this? Please do speak up, make some noise, and we'll see if I can get a hold of some VariEze plans...

:)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 1 month later...

I would suggest a alternate wing attach method like the Jiran type.

Here are some photos of it on a flying varieze. http://michaeltdrew.com/photo.html

What about a light sport version?

Light Sport Requirements - VariEze related specs. (from owners manual)

Max Gross Wt 1320 lbs - 1110 lbs could be increased

Max Stall 45 Kts - 46-49 knots, 35kts accelerated stall

Max Speed 120 Kts - 120 Kts maneuvering speed, climb prop would help

Fixed landing gear - Nose gear could be fixed to NG30 or only retractable for parking

A ligher engine like the Rotax 912 or Jabiru might help reduce stall and speed.

I would go for a varieze over a long-ez. I just want something fast, small, and cheap.

I know exactly what you mean. I've been wondering about the need for side-by-side seating (which is very nice, just not used all that much for many).

The Long-EZ is also fast, small, and cheap. The VariEze is a bit smaller, but aside from possibly a less expensive engine choice, materials will be close to the same. Also keep in mind that the Long-EZ is considered an improvement over the VariEze. As with any "next model", there were things to fix. The one thing I've heard is to retrofit the Long-EZ's wing attach method to the VariEze (NOT the wings themselves).

But back to your original thought, and one of the reasons why I understand the VariEze and Long-EZ were developed -- to provide great utility for 1-2 persons as a cross country flying machine. Relatively inexpensive, light, and fast.

I remember when I originally got bit by the canard bug. I was looking at the Berkut site and comparing specifications. "Oh I'll want the 540 engine w/retracts", I thought.

I think an updated VariEze would be a great addition to the options we have available. Klaus Savier might think so.

• 1 month later...