Dealing with Suppliers

Zulu Yankee

I just called Wicks to get a quote on Chapter 4 materials.

First, they would not tell me how much shipping would be, since they did not know. (strike 1)

Then the lady on the phone told me that I would have to buy epoxy separate from the kit for Chapter 4 and suggested strongly that I do not buy MGS, because it would be too expensive.

The she tells me that I needed to combine several chapters together in order to get the shipping cheaper. I asked if she had an estimate. She told me, again, that she could only calculate shipping at the time that they put it on my credit card. (strike 2)

Finally, after I got irate and told her that I needed to budget for the materials and needed to get an idea of what they will charge me, she took my details and told me that she would get back to me (strike 2 1/2).

Just before we rang off, she told me that I needed to reconsider building a Cozy. She said that people say that it can be built for $50,000. But, in her esteemed opinion, it is impossible to build the airplane for anything less than $75,000 to $100,000 (depending on options). (strike 3). I hung up.

I plan to procrastinate, but not now....

First, they would not tell me how much shipping would be, since they did not know. (strike 1)

I'm sure you could have had the order held until you approved it, although you would have needed to provide your credit card number (no big deal). Granted, they must have a backwards system.

Then the lady on the phone told me that I would have to buy epoxy separate from the kit for Chapter 4 and suggested strongly that I do not buy MGS, because it would be too expensive.

MGS is expensive these days, and that's good to have that pointed out.

Finally, after I got irate...

:rolleyes:

...and told her that I needed to budget for the materials and needed to get an idea of what they will charge me, she took my details and told me that she would get back to me (strike 2 1/2).

I'm sure she enjoys talking to irate customers and puts them on the top of her list.

Just before we rang off, she told me that I needed to reconsider building a Cozy. She said that people say that it can be built for $50,000. But, in her esteemed opinion, it is impossible to build the airplane for anything less than $75,000 to $100,000 (depending on options). (strike 3). I hung up.

She did you a favor -- it's going to cost $$$. She could have sweet-talked you through the whole thing.

I agree that not knowing shipping is frustrating, but Wicks will work with you, and would have confirmed w/you before they shipped. I suggest you try again, and maybe even say, "sorry" if you get the same person on the phone.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV