EAA COZY / Canard Forum at OSHKOSH 2007

For those of you not on either the COZY mailing list or the canard-aviators mailing list, I posted the following message yesterday. I would appreciate email responses, rather than only posting here - it's very hard to integrate these web based messages with the emails that I save. Feel free to post here to to engender discussion, but if you've got feedback or suggestions that you'd really like me to take into account, email will ensure that I pay attention.

Folks:

I know it's early to start thinking about OSH this year, but I just received the "COZY Forum" signup sheet from the EAA and need to get it in to them within the next couple of weeks to arrange for the forum (and tell them the name and topic).

I seem to have become the de-facto owner of this forum, since Nat's not doing it any more and ACS (owner of the COZY plans) doesn't really have anything to contribute to the forum.

I think that it would be good to rename it from the "COZY" Forum to the "COZY / RAF Derivative Canard" Forum, and open the floor to the whole canard community, so that we ALL can benefit from the information transfer.

With that in mind, I'd like to get feedback on a number of areas:

1) Is this renaming / opening up of the forum a good thing?

2) What COZY related topics / presentations / issues / should we

discuss?

3) What non-COZY related topics should we discuss?

4) Does anyone else have a presentation they'd like to make at the

forum? (10 - 15 minutes or so).

a) Steve Wright might talk about his "Stagger-EZ"

b) Terry Schubert could talk about the CSA

c) Other (videos, etc.)?

5) I will give some form of the standard COZY spiel, and probably

talk about the propeller loss and repairs as well (showing how

sturdy and easy to fix these planes are to newbies).

So, any and all ideas are welcome - we had over 100 folks at the forum last year and ran out of time. I'd like to keep this as a vibrant, useful forum for the whole canard community, so speak up, and I'll see what I can put together.

• 4 months later...

Folks:

After much hard work on the part of Mark Forss at the EAA, I (as well as the other 1400 [if I understood Mark correctly] presenters) now have a schedule for both of the fora at OSHKOSH 2007 - mark your calendars.

The "COZY Forum" will be held on Friday, 7/27/2007 at 1:00 PM in tent 02 - the "GAMA Pavilion". The title, as last year, is "COZY MKIV Aircraft - Soup to Nuts". I expect to give a slightly shortened presentation from last year - an overview of the COZY history, safety record, construction, modifications, etc. If we're lucky, we'll have the full version of a COZY video being produced for Aircraft Spruce, and if Chris Esselstyn provides a presentation regarding his modified O-540 retractable gear COZY, they we'll hear that too.

The "Rutan Derivative Canard Forum" will be held on Thursday, 7/26/2007 at 2:30 PM in tent 06 - the "Sportys Pavilion". I have a TENTATIVE list of presenters: these include Bill Allen, speaking on his Long-EZ Cross Atlantic Flight; Terry Schubert, with an introduction to the Central States Association; Steve Wright, with a description of his award winning "Stagger-EZ" aircraft; Me, with a discussion of my propeller loss, and if time allows, further presentations on my belleville washer installation, as well as a possible presentation on Jack Morrison's E-Racer winglet modifications. Time constraints and whether people have the time to prepare will determine what's included.

There will, of course, be a Q&A session at the end of each forum.

A PRELIMINARY list of the fora I'm hosting is on the web at:

http://www.airventure.org/forums/presenter.asp?EventID=12&PresenterID=1584

I think we'll have some good stuff here!

• 4 weeks later...

Folks:

As a two week reminder, here is the information on the two fora at OSHKOSH that I'm hosting. Mark your calenders, and don't forget the rotten tomatoes.

The "COZY Forum" will be held on Friday, 7/27/2007 at 1:00 PM in tent 02 - the "GAMA Pavilion".

Here's the currently planned schedule:

1) COZY video produced for Aircraft Spruce - the world premier!

Paul Drexler/Burrall Sanders

2) An overview of the COZY history, safety record, construction,

modifications, etc.

Marc J. Zeitlin

3) A Stretched, O-540 powered, retractable gear COZY MKIV

Chris Esselstyn

4) Q&A

The "Rutan Derivative Canard Forum" will be held on Thursday, 7/26/2007 at 2:30 PM in tent 06 - the "Sportys Pavilion".

Here's the schedule:

1) CSA Introduction - Terry Schubert

2) Stagger-EZ Design - Steve Wright

3) E-Racer Blended Winglet Modification

Marc J. Zeitlin/Jack Morrison

4) Propeller Loss Story - Marc J. Zeitlin

5) Q&A

A listing of all OSHKOSH forums can be viewed at:

http://www.airventure.org/forums/