Question about Long-EZ Passenger

rganey

Novice question...if this is posted in the wrong forum please forgive me and do not archive.I've been lurking here for months; I like the Long -EZ and have a novice question regarding the Long-Ez passenger's ride. It sounds like riding as the passenger is uncomfortable and I can only guess what the reasons would be, noisy?, cramped?, bad view?, cannot interact with the pilot?, stuffy?. From what I read the Long-EZ is a great airplane unless you are the passenger. Can someone make it clear why riding as a passenger in a Long-EZ might not be a lot of fun.

I realize the Cozy IV would correct this problem but then you lose the benefits of the Long-EZ.

Thanks (obsessed with building an airplane)

Randy:)

Randy -

Next time, you may want to post a new topic, rather than reply to a post like this (since your question doesn't deal with parts)... It would get a beter response.

I've been in the back of a VariEze (smaller than a Long-EZ), and there are 3 reasons why the back seat has a reputation as being "no fun":

1) The darned planes are so FUN to fly, that folks in the back seat (especially pilot-types) get jealous if they have to ride in back.

2) With both planes, you're kind of cut off physically from the person in front - all you see of them is the back of their head. A lot of spouses and other passengers really prefer to sit next to the pilot for that additional physical contact while in the air (side-by-side seating is definitely more "sociable" for most folks).

3) Some people complain about the visibility. From the front seat, you have a stunning view in almost every direction. From the back, the pilot's head obscures your view directly forward. You still see a lot out the sides, but its not as nice as sitting under a bubble canopy side-by-side.

I still love the Long-EZ... Its a plane that flies far and flies fast on a very modest amount of horsepower and fuel. That's what it was designed to do, after all. But for folks looking to just hop around their local area for 1 to 2 hour flights, its not as much of a "family" airplane as the Cozy or a more traditional planform aircraft with side-by-side seating.

Oh, you should also be aware that all Canard aircraft tend to have longer takeoff and landing distances than comparably-sized planes (they can't have flaps and don't have a tractor-mounted engine providing prop-blast over the control surfaces). So be sure to examine the runways you hope to use to ensure you pick a plane that works for your area and intended flying style - THAT advice applies to all builders and owners!

Take care,

--Noel

Kind of weird----but the non pilot types can't believe the stunning vis from the back. That usually comes from those who have never sat under a canopy before. Doing the comparison from back seat to front seat

-back seat

--limited forward vis

--can't see downward too good due to strakes

--shoulder room narrows quite a bit

--no room for elbows (in the front, you can put your elbows in the strakes

--can't stretch out your legs like the front seat

In the side by side seating like the cozy---the pilot gives up some of his right side vis---but you can have someone sitting up front with you

I have about 50 hours' flying in the back of a Long-EZ. I'd rather sit in the back seat of a Long-EZ doing 200 MPH than sit in the front seat of a Cherokee. For me, the fit was very comfortable. Don't ever fall asleep, though. The pilot is likely to loop it to wake you up. I used a handheld GPS to keep up with logistics. True, you can't see the instruments well and you can't see forward. But it's a comfortable, fast ride.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks