Hello from Toronto, Ontario

Hi to you all. Like many who I've seen here, I've been looking to build a Long-EZ, and I've been dissappointed in the lack of availability of plans.... who wants to pay $1k for a used set of plans that may or may not be complete. It was the Open-EZ project that drew me here, and I'm pretty excited to get started. Now all I need is spousal approval to convert the garage to a hangar, and buy the first couple rolls of glass, and a few gallons of epoxy. I plan to stick a Centurion 170 engine (135HP on 4.5 GPH of diesel). I hope to set a new record for speed/consumption... of course I hope to get started building first.

Glad to hear the Open-EZ got your interest. You'll need to decide between that, the E-Racer, Defiant, or the Cozy. Your wife may not like to sit looking at the back of your head, but you won't be able to use that engine in anything but a tandem EZ -- maybe the E-Racer???

Anyhow... take your time, figure out what you want, then go for it!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Thanks, Jon.

It's a tough decision... I figure the Cozy will cost 4x as much to fly (similar cost to build though), but it's ready for the kids who may well arrive before I get anything into the air:sad: . Then there's the EZ:bad: ... which by all accounts is a baby F-18.

It would be an much easier decision if it was a project that was supposed to last for 5 months instead of 5 years. :confused:

Feels like I'm trying to pick between a Boxter and a Cayenne... the one I really want, and the one that is more likely to suit my needs.

Feels like I'm trying to pick between a Boxter and a Cayenne... the one I really want, and the one that is more likely to suit my needs.

Good analogy, but I like this one:

A motorcycle is to a Long-/Open-EZ as a sports car is to a Cozy IV.

If I were without children, I'd definitely think hard about building an Open-EZ. The Cozy is practical -- if you can say that in the context of flying airplanes -- is comfy for two people side-by-side and offers a ton of baggage room.

Involve your wife, somehow and in some way, however small. That's a 'must' for most.

I know your pain....I recently gave up the idea of an EZ in favor of a Cozy IV. The GIB who will likely be around for the rest of my life can't do tandem, and family considerations will be very real by the time I finish the plane (haven't even started yet) so the choice was made, but after 20 years of dreaming about a Long-EZ, it was a tough one.

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Sounds like you and I are in exactly the same position. I've decided to go with a Cozy and maybe put a Delta Hawk in it depending on where they are with their development by the time I'm ready for an engine. I really like the idea of a diesel for the cheaper fuel and lack of ignition system to maintain.

Another factor that may reinforce your decision is that the resale on Cozys is much higher than an EZ. If you decide later in life that you still want an EZ, and you're not using the back seats in the Cozy, you could build the airframe for cheap, and sell the Cozy to buy an high-end engine and glass avionics, and still pocket some money. I think the Open-EZ will be my mid-life crisis plane. The Cozy will be my 1/3 life crisis plane.

Of course, all these decisions are moot until I can figure out how to get approval to spend the money:confused: Maybe I can fake a lottery win or something.

Another factor that may reinforce your decision is that the resale on Cozys is much higher than an EZ.

Excellent point -- thanks for the reminder.

I think the Open-EZ will be my mid-life crisis plane. The Cozy will be my 1/3 life crisis plane.

Ack! I suppose that's me too if I live to 120. :o

Sounds like your plan is sound and ready to move forward!

Of course, all these decisions are moot until I can figure out how to get approval to spend the money:confused:

Sell the stuff you don't need. Work more. Spend less. Downgrade your cars. Quit smoking. Quit drinking. Quit buying lottery tickets.

Seriously, to get started with Cozy building you need:

• Plans $500
  • Material/Tools $1,500
Approx. $2,000 to get through the first 7 chapters?

I think the Open-EZ will be my mid-life crisis plane. The Cozy will be my 1/3 life crisis plane.

Sounds like a good plan. Of course, knowing my luck, by the time I make it to midlife crisis time there will be something newer and better and faster and cleaner and and and and...

:D :D

-dave, still basking in the warmth of a recent quarterlife crisis

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Only $2000 for the first 7 chapters? That's really good news... I had thought it was more like $4000. There's a new Aircraft Spruce opening near here that I'm going to check out once they're in business, so I'll be able to get more detailed pricing.

Guess I'd better get started selling vehicles and getting the garage ready for a hangar conversion.

Only $2000 for the first 7 chapters? That's really good news... I had thought it was more like $4000.

There you go. Tell your wife you just saved $2,000. If she's a shopper she'll understand that logic. After that, just spend the $2,000 you just saved. ;)