IO-360 or 200 + hp in a LongEZ

DBforfun

I want to put more HP in my LongEZ. I have found a little info about putting a Lyc. 360 in but I want to look at all the pros and cons before proceeding.

I have also had some interest in rotary engines for a long time. Now it is decision time. IO-360 lyc. or ??

I woud like to get input from those who have done either of these conversions on what I should watch out for. Do or not do.

Thanks in advance for your constructive input.

Nay sayers and party poopers need not respond.

I think the O-360 is only about 50 lbs heavier than the O-320, Personally, I would have no problems replacing my O-320 with an O-360. My plane was built for an O-320 and all the "beefing up" was performed during original construction.

1) I installed larger fuselage longerons ( 1/4 inch larger than plans, bothe upper and lower)

2) I installed larger mount extrusions. I don't remember the exact sixes, but I made mine larger. I think the originals were 3/4 x 3/4inch, If so, I installed 1 x 1-1/2 on all four locations.

3) I added several extra layers of glass at all the extrusion locations, I'd need to look at my notes to tell you the exact number and orientation.

4) My engine mount is a WeldTech that was specifically designed and built for an O-320 (not a modified O-235 mount)

I liked this mount because it allowed me to use Bendix mags, The original Brock mount could only use Slicks.

5) I did NOT upgrade my brakes (I wish I would have, regardless of O-235 or O-320)

6) I didn't do anything additional to the gear or its attach points, these seem OK after 2600 hours.

I would be concerned about going from a O-235 to an O-320 or O-360. I would definitely do items 2 & 4 above, and if possible, Item 3.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

• 1 month later...

O-360 A1A 265lbs dry

O-320-D3G 255lbs dry (E series even heavier)

Stick with the 360. You can go 9.2:1 on a parallel 360 and get 195hp. going 10:1 on a 320 is a possibility also, though you only get 180hp according to Lycon.

I'm gald I went with the 360, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

1) Full length Longeron Layups, not tapered.

2) Installed 4 off 1/8" 4130 'extrusions', 1" x 1" (bent to same radius as engine mount tubes).

3) I added NO extra layers of glass at all the extrusion locations. The 'extrusions' are still 1/8" thick.

4) My engine mount is a WeldTech that was specifically designed and built for an O-320 (not a modified O-235 mount). - I added two tubes from the upper extrusion locations to the upper cups.

5) I use Matco's same as Mike M's. Actually, mine are triple puck. 50LT's. Great brakes.

6) Berkut cowls for cooling. Would do downdraft now: Naca submerged, into diffusers, inot plenum, then exhaust augmented.

7) Everything was light - starter, alternator etc. Ti firewall.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Wow, I haven't heard that name since 1985. I don't know if they are still in business. I'm not sure who makes engine mounts now. You might check with the CozyGirrrls? I know then do mounts for the Cozy MKIV.

http://www.cozygirrrl.com/menupage.htm

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Two reasons in my mind for going parallel valve (Long EZ driven):

1. The angle valve version is significantly heavier.

2. The induction tubes on the angle valve protrude MUCH further under the strakes and out from the firewall.

Cheers

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've made up my mind. I bought an O-360 A4M which is only 10 lbs heavier than the O-320 I have in there now. I am ordering a new Catto 3 blade prop for the increased HP. I have had excellent results from the Catto 3 blade I have on the plane now. Any suggestions on mods to improve engine performance or installation tips while I am down for the installation.

Thanks for everyones positive input and a pox on those who said DON'T DO IT.

Dan