Suffolk Fly-In

Make plans now to attend the Suffolk Fly-In, June 3-4, at the KSFQ Airport, Suffolk Virginia. (Webpage for more details.)

It's really just another CSA excuse to get together and do what we do best -- talk canards. Everyone with an interest in canards is welcome, whether you fly a canard or fly something else. Steve and Traci are hosting a party at their house on Saturday night. Don't expect caviar this year, but Wayne's seafood gumbo and red beans and rice will have you talking like a Cajun before the night is over.

KSFQ is a municipal airport. No tower, no controlled airspace, but please listen to ATIS 119.375 for arrival and departure instructions. The Fly-In is being held in conjunction with the airport's fly-in and they usually designate one runway for arriving and departing VFR traffic. Plenty of hard-surfaced parking on the transient lines in front of the terminal. Throttle Back Cafe is open for lunch and breakfast. Full service, maintenance support, 100LL Self Pump.

Come pass a good time, chais, laissez les bon temps rouller!

(Translataion: Have a good time, my friend, and let's let the good times roll!)

(PS--> Don't be scared off by the donation amount stated in the last CSA newsletter. I've now figured out a different way to buy the rest of my avionics. (he, he) Donations of a much smaller amount for the food and booze won’t be turned down if you feel so compelled, but it's_certainly_not_required. :-) )

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

This sounds like a good event from prior years. Who in this forum will be attending?

I'm planning on attending, but I'm without plane and in the stage of thinking of building a Cozy.

--Ed Savage

Cozy Mark IV #1032

If possible, I'll be attending, but odds right now are that I won't be able to make it. I went last year, and found it to be quite the enjoyable day. How couldn't it be when you have a handful of canards to ogle and can touch and poke at Wayne Hick's Cozy Mark IV project?

Here's the thread from last year's event: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Wayne/others,

The webpage says:

Tent Camping (primitive) allowed on the field.

Everyone seems to have their own definition of what primitive camping is. What is the situation with this flyin? Is there a porta-potty/bathroom? No showers? Is camping common at this fly-in?

Thanks.

--Ed Savage

Cozy Mark IV #1032

• 3 weeks later...

Yes folks, the CSA Spring Fly-In is this weekend, June 3-4, at KSFQ. Details are at this website.

Again, KSFQ is a just a small-town municipal airport. There is no tower, just the usual CTAF arrival process. The only operational "caveat" is that the airport may elect to use one runway for VFR arrivals and departures. Please listen to the ATIS frequency. Left hand patterns for RWY 7 and 22, right hand for RWY 25 and 4. (All patterns are flown away from center of field.)

Other than that, it's a low key fly-in. No airshows, no demos, no schedule. Not much air traffic to speak of. In fact, the canards usually out number everything else! It's the perfect venue for parking a lot of canards on the ramp, then spending the rest of the day yakking. Steve is anxious to show everyone his gorgeous Long-EZ. My Cozy IV will be shamefully off to the side in its contoured colors.

Steve and Traci will once again graciously host a party at their house Saturday night. I'll be fixing the seafood gumbo, and the red beans and rice. There will be other non-Cajuny stuff to eat. And there will be the appropriate adult libations.

As to who's coming? Well, we don't keep lists anymore! The attendance is always a factor of the weather. I understand that a front is pushing across the country. It should push through our area on Friday and we should have good weather for this weekend. You might see that nasty word "thunderstorm" is Saturday's forecast, but that's the usual perpetual, every day summer forecast thing for CHANCE of isolated CB. Sunday is supposed to be 100% sunny and about as perfect as it gets.

Some have asked, "What really goes on all day?" Well, a few people arrive Friday afternoon just to sit on the veranda and get an early start (if you know what I mean, right N1HR?) Most people arrive Saturday anywhere from 9AM-2PM. We sit around yakking, staring, poking, prodding at canards the rest of the time. We start rounding everyone up to Steve's house at around 6:30-ish. (Which is like herding cats.) We party until we fall asleep.

A lot of people eat breakfast at the airport on Sunday morning, 10AM-ish. We yak a while (quietly because of the party the night before....) We then slap each other on the backs, saying how good it is to see everyone again. We talk about who's really going to OSH or not. We all agree to see each other for sure at Rough River. Then people start prepping to begin pushing off around noonish. Some leave a little earlier, some leave a little later.

What else can I say? It's laid-back, it's fun! We hope to see you there.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

For those of you attending the fly-in, please CHECK your weight and balance!!! Here’s the menu for Saturday night’s party!!!!

Appetizers:

Veggie Plate

Fruit Plate

Cheese Plate

Mini Lachs on toasted bagel chips

Assortment of hot appetizers (Spanakopita, mini Quiches, mini crabcakes, etc)

Main Dishes:

Wayne’s Famous Cajun Gumbo + Red Beans and Rice

Steve’s Infamous Spaghetti

Broiled Salmon

Mediterranean Steak Salad

Chicken Cob Salad

Pork Tenderloin with Cherry Sauce

Desserts:

Lemon/Blueberry Trifle

Orange Sherbet Pie

Chocolate Pie

Sugar Free Cheesecake and Cherries

Chocolate Mint Meringues

Traci is advising me that we may move up the herd ‘em up, move ‘em out time closer to 5PM Saturday. With a menu like this, I’m sure people will be ready to go!

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

It's really just another CSA excuse to get together and do what we do best -- talk canards.

Wayne, I just noticed that your CSA link is going to an old link, where the membership is $5.00 off of the current. The current CSA link is here: www.canardzone.com/csa

This sounds like a good event from prior years. Who in this forum will be attending?

It's a fun time whenever there are a bunch of canards to look at. Turns out that I hope to be showing up on Sunday the 4th...

I'm planning on attending, but I'm without plane and in the stage of thinking of building a Cozy.

If you're close enough, you definitely should go! You'll get a ton of great firsthand info. and all your questions answered.

Is camping common at this fly-in?

I don't think tent camping has happened here yet, but no major reason not to. There's a fine bathroom and restaurant/diner, and I understand there is permission. Wayne can answer better, or continue to ignore you ;).

Here’s the menu for Saturday night’s party!!!!

That's almost worth driving down for me! I feel like a dog at the table right now. Maybe I can get a doggy bag for brunch the next morning.

There's always a critic somewhere. I will change the link. I have responded to egsavage privately. But just so others know, there's not yet been a need to camp on the field. People have either stayed in hotels, or bunked at our houses. But don't count on that. Steve normally houses the EZ types. I house the Cozy types. Unfortunately, I can't house anyone this year and Steve may already be full-up. The larger the fly-in gets, the more people will need to guarantee use of tents.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

I also heard that Chris Esselstyn is planning on attending with his 540-powered retractable and further modified Cozy Mark IV. Nice looking plane that breaks new ground in terms of modifications.

The knock-knock-knocking sound you hear is me knocking on wood with fingers crossed. It looks like the front will push through as forecasted on Friday. It is a drier front than first forecasted, but still with 50% chance of rain, mostly late Friday afternoon and into the evening.

But the better news is Saturday is looking good and they've dropped the chance of isolated thunderstorms. It'll be more clouds than sun, but very doable from a fly-in point of view. You'll have wonderful weather for Sunday departures as the big fat high is supposed to sitting right over us.

As usual, these are my opinions. Please consult your own official sources.

=============================

As posted by the NOAA Eastern Regional Headquarters: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Suffolk&state=VA&site=AKQ

Friday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high around 85. West wind between 8 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Friday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight, then a slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Saturday: Partly cloudy, with a high around 82.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 59.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high around 79.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low near 60.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678