Long-EZ questions

RAKY

Hello Group: I have a couple of question,

Is the Aircraft S kit materials for the long ez current,or need some changes?

about the main landing gear,is the same use in the cozy? Is realy less expensive build a LEZ?. thanks.

Hello Group:

Hello! I moved your post from the Open-EZ section to the Long-EZ section.

Is the Aircraft S kit materials for the long ez current,or need some changes?

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty? Just check your parts list -- there are many similarities to Cozy materials, but you should verify your orders. I do the same and I'm building a "current" model -- the Cozy.

about the main landing gear,is the same use in the cozy?

No, the Long-EZ gear is different and still available from Featherlite.

Is realy less expensive build a LEZ?

Absolutely. Less foam, fiberglass, epoxy, and metal. Chances are you'll end up with a smaller engine as well. How much less is another question -- I don't know.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Wicks shows the materials kit(s) at about $4700. The Cozy kit is about 3x's that. If figure engine and instruments to be roughly the same.

I tried to find out if the Long-EZ kit included everything needed to build, minus the engine, instruments, interior, etc (a la Cozy) but the response to that question left me scratching my head...

Bob Hassel

Bob Hassel

Cozy Plans #749

Santa Fe, NM

http://www.cozyworld.net

http://www.hassel-usa.com

The LEZ kits contain the physical materials to build the structure of the plane, minus epoxy. You'll end up spending more than $4700 to build the airframe, mainly due to the cost of epoxy, fixturing, etc. It probably won't be as much as a Cozy, but it's not as cheap as it seems. Based on some pricing I dug up about a year ago, it'd be closer to $6k to get the fuselage complete. Add a lot more for engine, instruments, paint, filler, brakes, control systems, etc.

My $0.02.

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Correction Raky, my numbers are a few years old. A few things I noticed when I was on the Wicks site this morning...the Cozy kits come with a lot more stuff than the EZ kit, things that you'll need to buy for either type of EZ:

COZY4 ELECTRICAL	CZ4-CHPT-22	$896.40	 
CZ4 ENGINE PROP		CZ4-CHPT-23	$925.20	 
COZY4 COVERS FAIRING	CZ4-CHPT-24	$160.06	 
COZY4 FINISHING KIT	CZ4-CHPT-25	$844.70	 
SUPPLIES & TOOLS	CZ4-TOOLS	$367.5
COZYGIRRLS TOOLS	COZYGIRRRL-TOOLS $643.49
Note that you shouldn't buy the Cozy fairings or prop for an EZ variant. Someone always asks...

You can plan on adding a similar amount (nearly $3K) to the cost of an OpenEZ, bringing it to around $8K, give or take (shipping, tax, etc). Again, epoxy isn't included in this. Also, the electrical kit isn't really complete. It has the starter and master solenoids, strobes, strobe driver, and some wire. No breaker panel, no distro block, etc.

-dave

Also we need to add the cost of the electric landing gear and the main gear .

Yup. And paint, and brake lines, and seat cushions, and the metal parts from the girrrls, and....

You can see why I expect my build to take a lot more than 3 years :D

And if it comes down to it, don't build an EZ because it's cheaper, build it because you love it more than a Cozy.

-dave