Turbo normalization and pressurized cockpit.

7480W

Pressurization is a pretty big deal ... not to be taken lightly even if you could get most of the leaks plugged. Completely changes the stresses on the pressurized section of cockpit ... you've essentially created a pressure vessel trying to contain differential applied accross entire surface area of inside of cockpit. Of course, as is stated over and over again, if you want re-engineer the whole thing and be a test pilot ....

Turbo-normalized has been done I believe. I know it's well understood, and it isn't rocket science to put something like that in an EZ.

Pressurized is a whole different ballgame, and would require a ground-up redesign of the fuselage. The undertaking would be mammoth, and with the pressures involved, could be fatal if anything was done incorrectly that could cause depressurization at altitude, or structural failure. For grins, take a look at the way the Lancair IV-P is made, vs our little plastic birds. Yeah, it's that different.

My $0.02? Stick with the known quantities, like heated socks and O2 cannulas, unless you're willing to design what amounts to a new plane.

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Thanks for the advice, I am still at ground zero but at least I'm getting supplies together. I was planning on going with a different fuselage. But to what extent is still being kicked around. One of my friends said, why not? But maybe not the best idea. Any specifics on turbo plane's high altitude cruse speed? Thanks.

I'm not sure what a 320 might get at altitude. Dust is going to use a Conti at 25Kft and if I recall correctly, believe he will get a TAS of around 300.

However, there are lot of issues with doing this, not withstanding the technical ones.

One of the very important things you will need to do is build a really good O2 system with backups. At 25Kft you cannot use cannulas. Also you will need to develop procedures to get you back to a safe altitude should your O2 system fail.

Pressurizing a Cozy would be quite a task. On the other hand using bleed air off the turbo's compressor for cabin heat is not.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9

One of the very important things you will need to do is build a really good O2 system with backups. At 25Kft you cannot use cannulas. Also you will need to develop procedures to get you back to a safe altitude should your O2 system fail.

Indeed. I've spent a few minutes breathing through one of the full-face devices that you're required to use above 18k, and they aren't much fun unless you have a helmet to hold them to, and even then they aren't particularly natural to use. The chance that you could lose O2 at altitude with one of those systems, assuming it's installed correctly, is small, but finite, and if it does, it can be fatal. Hypoxemia will set in in a matter of minutes, rendering you useless as PIC. That's be bad I think.

Pressurizing a Cozy would be quite a task. On the other hand using bleed air off the turbo's compressor for cabin heat is not.

Pressureizing a Cozy would require a comlpetely different, and much heavier, fuselage to contain the pressure differential without leaks. Somone on the other board tossed it around a little, and after it was shot thouroghly full of holes from a weight and structural standpoint, it was abandoned.

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I would dearly love a turbo on my Cozy-3, that would be a lot of extra weight and I really do not know how I would fit it in BUT, at FL180 with 50% power I can still get 157 Kts and of course I only pay for the 50% power fuel flow. Economical motoring on an IO-320.

Tony

Cozy-3

VH-COZ

Australia

Tony,

Install 12:1 pistons in your engine and recut the timing gears along with a stronger ignition system and you will have all the power you need up high. You would be able to produce 75% HP up to 13,000 ft. You can use a lower MP pressure down low so not to exceed the rated HP of your engine. It's a quick and easy way to make power that does not harm your engine as long as you keep the MP limited.