Long EZ plans freeware

longez2006

First of all, anyone wanting to scratch build a Long Ez, don't bother to email me, it is illegal to build an aircraft from copied plans and I will have nothing to do with illegal activities. If you like the aircraft and want to build one, there are lots of unfinished projects out there, with licensed plans to accompany them, and they will actually save you time and money, much better than being charged with copyright infringement.

Having said that, I have collected over the years plans for several of the aircraft by Burt Rutan (Long ez, Varieze, VariViggen, Solitaire), as well as templates for the Long EZ, Roncz canard plans, long rudder plans, and all of the canard-pusher newsletters. I also have some reference stuff on aircraft design, some by Rutan, some by other sources.

I have seen people trying to sell copies of these plans for the price of originals, I have seen people selling copies as originals, and it is always very expensive to get a hold of something related with the Long EZ or similar canard aircraft.

I intend to help those who merely want access to the information with no intention to build, it will give me trouble but I will send as freeware any part of the information that I have to anyone willing to have access to it.

There are some issues relating to copyright, so under the "fair use" clause of the US Copyright Act it is not illegal to make copies of someone else's work for several purposes, one of which is education, but it is however illegal to make a profit from copies of other people's work, so I can only ask for a reasonable price of copies and shipping.

It is illegal to build an aircraft from copied plans, so once again, if you want to build a Long EZ, find an unfinished project and save yourself problems, time and money.

I know of some people who have stalled projects because of a missing page of the templates, or of a damaged page, and it is rather stupid that they cannot continue building because they have to pay 300 dollars to get one specific page of something they already paid for some years ago... If this is your case, email me and I'll help you with that. If you have an interest in studying how an aircraft is put togeheter, or how Rutan designed a specific part of his aircraft, or how he built his wings, etc, email me and I'll help you have access to that information for free.

I will not be involved in anything that may be considered illegal, but don't be afraid to email if you have a truly educational purpose. If, however, you want to build a canard aircraft, visit www.ez.org, or join one of the newsgroups of builders and someone will be able to advise on the best choice for you, which, again, is not through copied plans, as the FAA will not let you build an aircraft with those. You have several choices for legal and licensed plans today, Cozy, Eracer, etc.

You can reach me at antoine_saint_exu@yahoo.fr

Thank you for your generous offer and support. There's just an item or two that you're reading into too much...

...it is illegal to build an aircraft from copied plans and I will have nothing to do with illegal activities.

...the FAA will not let you build an aircraft with those.

I'm glad to hear you're a law abiding person, but it is not illegal to build an aircraft from copied plans -- at least not according to the FAA. The original license setup by RAF was for builder support, and also attempted to maximize sales by preventing copies. Many signed the license agreement promising not to build a second, so maybe they cannot based on their agreement with RAF, but that doesn't mean that anyone else cannot.

Bottomline is that it is NOT ILLEGAL to build from copied plans, not according to the US Copyright Office or the US Federal Aviation Administration. Anyone who tries to tell you different is misinformed.

I intend to help those who merely want access to the information with no intention to build, it will give me trouble but I will send as freeware any part of the information that I have to anyone willing to have access to it.

I have no intention to build a Long-EZ -- I am building a Cozy Mark IV -- and so any interest I have in looking at the Long-EZ is for educational purposes only. Specifically, I would like to compare the Long-EZ wings with the Cozy Mark IV wings.

...I can only ask for a reasonable price of copies and shipping.

How is accuracy of the copies you make verified? Is a ruler copied with them? What is a reasonable price?

Sign me up.

Thank you!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have plans for the Roncz canard only? I am looking for the complete Roncz canard plans for the LongEZ, to adapt to a Cozy 3.

Thanks for your help,

CJ Kirby

CJ Kirby

Buliding a Cozy III for cross country.

Have Citabria for fun!

STRAIGHT AND LEVEL FLIGHT PROHIBITED