Dual Stick Mod

Northernliving

Hi,

I'm in the early stages of thinking of building. I've flown for 15 years, and have always wanted to build - just waiting to get the kids to an age where I have more time. The center stick is a real hang-up for me in the velocity. I'm right handed, and want to fly with my left so I can use my right for cockpit management and writing notes from ATC. Flying right seat isn’t real appealing, either. Anyway, I stumbled on this velocity that has a modified duel stick option (apparently the first). I've emailed Velocity to see if they are planning to incorporate a dual stick option in their kits, but haven't heard back Anyone know of this plane or any others with the option? Dual sticks centered each of the front seats would be fine, too.

Thanks in advance,

-North

Here is the link and text describing the plane

======================================================

http://www.eaa.org/homebuilders/list/Velocity%20XL-RG_Kanczuzewski.asp

Velocity XL-RG

Douglas Kanczuzewski

EAA#: 724454

Corona, CA

N77LY

The Velocity XL-RG was first started on March 18, 2002 and had its first flight on July 25, 2003. The Velocity was built with two major changes in mind. The first was going to dual side stick controls versus the single center stick which is standard in the Velocity. This side stick modification was a first, and one of many improvements, that was designed by Brian Gallagher of Aimech in Temecula, CA. The second area was to design fold down individual seats in the rear, similar to an SUV to allow for more flexibility in handling baggage, which has since become an option by the factory.

The power plant was for a run out Lycoming IO-540 that came out of my previous airplane, a Bellanca Viking. The engine was rebuilt from the ground up by Brian and Jamie Gallagher, with low compression flow matched cylinders, an automotive aftermarket turbocharger, which easily boosts the engine to 49 inches of manifold pressure for 350 hp, an all electric, dual battery and dual alternator system that powers a Blue Mountain EFIS 1, and EFIS Lite, along with a full UPS stack mounted in a burled Carpathian Elm instrument panel. The paint job was probably one of the longest time line design areas. After many discussions and drawing reiterations with family and friends, Jamie Gallagher came up with the current design. Endeavoring to keep with the main fuselage and wing areas being a pearlescent white, the color was brought in on the lower section. Fading from a blue on the nose to a slight burgundy on the rear, it also fades from a dark to a lighter shade as it rises. The colors are then terminated at an egg shell crack that goes around the plane, with smaller cracks emanating out.

Since the first flight there have been many teething problems but now we are starting to explore the flight envelope, which is bringing another whole world of discovery and level of excitement.

Well, you could go, shudder the thought, with the yoke option. That is what my Velocity SE (former SUV) came with ($1000.00 extra from Velocity, Inc.). I too prefer to fly with my left hand and do other stuff with my dominant, right hand, and the yoke solves this issue while giving me more percieved cabin room due to a cut down center keel. To be fair, you have less free panal space since the yoke is sticking out of the panal, but I do not think that is that big an issue. For that matter, you could actually cut off the right yoke horn and have a side stick....essentially ;)

We spoke to some factory folks at SWRFI this year about modifying the yoke to a side stick and they said they made some attempts at it but, while the concept would probabley work, it would require a level of complexity that they wish to avoid in a kit (understandable). It involved a number of U-joints that must be incorporated due to the gradual slope of the fuselage inward. It is a modification that I may consider if I ever want a additional project AFTER I get flying for a while. Like you, I like the idea. I believe this mod will more closely resemble my yokes than the standard center stick.

The controls, like on all the Velocitys, go down the center keel and not along the side of the fuselage like on the non gull wing door planes.

Remember, it is your plane and you can make it what you want. The folks at Velocity, Inc. have been very helpful every step of the way and I suspect they will willingly provide input and insight.

Good luck, I will be very interested in your progress.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I'll have to think about this some more. I talked to a friend who flies F16's in the South Carolina guard, and he reminded me that he flies with his right hand in the viper all the time. If any other Velocity drivers could comment on the transition from a yoke or center stick (I fly PA-11 and PA-14’s) to the right hand stick, I would appreciate it.

Where are you mounting your throttle, Chris?

Don't know where I'm gonna mount my throttle yet. I am debating between a simple push pull knob in the center of the panel like a standard Cessna or a throttle quadrant in the cut down center keel (the yoke option allows the center keel to be cut way down since the center stick is omitted). It will depend on my mood at the time.

I understand that many fly with their right hand to adapt to the plane, but when I am building my own plane I would prefer to make it more to my preference. Thus I do prefer to fly with my left hand and write/fiddle with knobs with my right. The yoke suites me fine....it even alows me to SWITCH hands :cool: . Again, a pure left stick like on the Cirrus may be something to figue out way down the road.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I understand that many fly with their right hand to adapt to the plane, but when I am building my own plane I would prefer to make it more to my preference. Thus I do prefer to fly with my left hand and write/fiddle with knobs with my right.

Here's a slightly different spin on this...

I am right-handed for joystick flying, but write with my left. I can adapt to the Cozy (stick in left hand), but have been thinking to design and install a single center stick!

You guys got me wondering again which way to go. It is my plane, and should be all about me, but I can't help but recognize the cons:

• Design & development work
  • Center stick may become annoying to passenger
  • It's a unique one-off, perhaps not readily sold when I'm 90 years old
The Velocity's center keel makes for a much more pronounced divider between pilot and passenger. The Cozy, on the other hand, is more like a couch. What do you think about converting the Cozy to use a single center stick? Anyone have an opinion?

The center stick is a real hang-up for me in the velocity.

Why not build a Cozy or AeroCanard then? Or, if you want a Velocity kit, download Chapter 16 (Control System) for the AeroCanard to see whether you might be able to carry the dual side stick design into a Velocity kit.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

It was my understanding that the controls on the Cozy run down the side of the cabin. This is more difficult to do in a Velo since you have to allow for the gull wing doors. The rudder cable run under the doors, but the aileron cables run down the center keel for both the center stick and yoke. I have seen at least one picture (very bad picture) of a duel stick Velo and I too may like to do it one day, but it will require some solid creative thinking. I would like mine to be similiar to the Cirrus' I have seen....pretty sweet. For me, for now, the yoke works fine. The drawback is a little less panal room. FWIW.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...