Landing lights in lower winglet

Don Woodward

Actually, I put mine in the leading edge of the wing. The lamps I used were high beams from a 1992 Camaro, They are 2 inches tall and about 5 inches wide. I performed some "Heat" studies before I did this. The Bulbs produce a great deal of "Radiant" heat that reflects mainly out the bottom of the lamp. To keep from absorbing this heat, The leading edge covers extend below the wing in a triangle shape, that matches the shape of the bulb. I'll get some pictures of these and post them on my web site (www.iflyez.com)

If I was going to do this today, I would look at the newer "Projector" style lamps. I think these would be much better suited, but I haven't performed any heat studies with these bulbs.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

• 4 weeks later...

I have di-chroic "down" lights installed in each lower winglet of my Cozy-3. I shopped around until I found a 7 degree beam unit. Now these are nowhere near as bright as normal aircraft landing lights but you can see their light on the runway from about 100 feet on final approach. More importantly, you can see to taxi the aircraft around a crowded ramp in the dark. I also have ceramic heat protection cloth (firewall material) in behind the globes. Cover is a bit of acrylic plastic moulded around the winglet. I also have the standard aircraft landing lamp in the belly but have never used it for take off or landing - the winglet lights are adequate for me - so long as the noise continues!!!!!!!

Tony

Cozy-3

VH-COZ

Australia