Private Pilot Manual Version

csccs

The basics are the same, but some of the info pertaining to FARs is already out of date in the 1999 version. The 1996 version would probably get you the basics, but you need a 2004 AIM to supplement/replace out of date info on airspace, airport operations TFRs and other updates - especially since 9-11.

My brother just got his Private license and he had a 2000 Gleim's manual, but he still had to use a current (then 2003) AIM.

Hope this helps..

Kevin

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

Chris (and csccs)

My opinion is that a 2004 AIM book would be of more value with the older Jep flying manual.

A comprehensive look at current FARs is available on the internet at at the FAA gov site along with to-the-minute updates, including the old FARs and which new ones replaced them. So any new FAR book will contain marginally contemporary information. Fortunately (for PP student pilots) most of the new stuff is about the security issues and the ever changing Part 135.

So I would use the Jep manual with a new AIM and use the internet for current FAR info.

But that's just me. I'm sure there are other opinions among us pilots here.....

Kevin

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

I jst received my PPL in July, 2003.

When I started looking to take flight training, the costs scared me...So I thought I would save money and go onto E-Bay and find used books. I bought some out of date books. .........Yadayada yada....Long story.............

Then as I got into the training, I decided I needed the newer books, I wanted to know exactly "What Had Changed"...........So I ended up spending More than if I would have just bought the new books right off the bat.

Now , I think of how easy it is to buy the new FAR-AIM book every year, and subcribe to Jeppesen, AOPA, EAA........Knowledge is POWER.....

Flight Training is a "BIG DEAL".......I would not think of it as a place to save money.

As a wise Old Indian Chief said,

The more you understand, the more you will trust and the less you will fear.

- Midewiwin Prayer, Ojibwa

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

I agree that flight training is a big deal. After all that is the only way they will turn me loose in my cozy (manufactured with Jo-Z inspiration). Money, however, doesn't flow like a river. I guess I will try for a refund and spring for the new book.

Did you find that much had changed between the versions you purchased?

Chris

Sorry Chris, I should have touched on that.

I really never got far enough into the books(Ron Michado & FAR-AIM)before it was strongly suggested by my Mentor to spring for the new ones. I already felt I was being a miser. My books were "Pre 9/11", his argument made sense, I just "TOTALY FELT" uncomfortable without the BEST INFORMATION I could find.

I do know that alot of ,"Watching and Caring for Your Airport" "Being A Responsible Pilot/Security Official", "Proper Identification Issues", Your Role in Security with your Passengers" kind of stuff was different.......

I understand your point, "Money Is Hard to Come By". I Also agree with some of the other statements from the others here, " There probably isn't much of a change" "You Will Be Able To PAss Your Test"..........That just Isn't good enough for me.I PUT MY ALL into my training..

Buying books was a year ago for me, I am no "POORER" today than I was before I started.............. WELL, If I don't sell my Cessna, I am going to be poorer.

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?