Rotary Search

csccs

I also am talking myself into building a Cozy IV. I am just not sure of the time table as yet. In the meantime I am looking for a 13B Rotary, since it easily fits in my mess. On my quest, what specifics should I be looking for? What other parts should I grab when I yank out the engine?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Chris

The Crooks were nice enough to include some suggestions:

automatic transmission version of the engine WITH the fly wheel and COUNTERWEIGHTS. Also get the oil coolers, try to get a starter from a MANUAL transmission car; all fuel system parts EXCEPT fuel pump; you can get the Mazda coils if you want (they are heavier than after market AC delco coils but they will work fine); intake manifold (you can cut it apart and make your own manifold from it). We do not use the Mazda radiators for anything (too large for our use) but if you need them , get them of course. We also do not recommend turbo charging the engine but, again, that is a personal choice.

Would anyone recommend additions or correction for the Cozy IV?

One thing to consider is the engine type. Most 13B flyers are using the 2nd generation '86 - '92 model because its easy to find and inexpensive. I managed to get my hands on a 3rd gen '94 model which is somewhat improved with larger oil galleries and intake ports. Bulent Alieve has a Cosmo engine which has even larger ports. There was a complete Cosmo on ebay going for $1800 the other day. Lastly, there's the Renesis which can be had for a few more thousand.

Given that you're going to spend many hours and many $ configuring the engine for the airplane, building or buying the mount, adapting periferals and fabricating intake, exhaust, cooling and oil systems it makes sense to go for the best base engine you can get. Another angle to consider is that you're replacing a $10k - $20k+ investment (Lyc360) with a 13B, so perhaps a $100 breakers yard special isnt a good place to start. Put another way. A new prop will cost you around $2k or more. I think it's reasonable to budget more on the engine than you do on the prop. I've probably spent close to that just on AN fittings. :mad:

If it were me, I'd get on with the plane while keeping a lookout for a bent RX8, or better yet - save up and [when you're airframe is ready] get a new aviation modified Renesis from Bruce Turrentine.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

John,

Thanks for that link. I thought I had uncovered about every rotary site out there....not this one.

We need to convince Bruce to set up a simple website. It would give me a misplaced sense of security to know he is online <g>. Of course, since he is THE name in aviation rotary conversion for engine cores I guess he can continue to be elusive. (even though, when I called, he answered personally.

.......OR, is this his site, I noticed it is out of NC but have not found a referrence to Bruce yet other than a few very familiar pictures with Tracy's PSRU on it.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Yes, I think it's a new site he's had put together. I found the link in Tracy's site. He is based in NC. I don't think Bruce is much of an on-line man, but you will tend to get him on the phone fairly easily and he's a great guy to deal with.

There's another link you might like to check - http://www.yawpower.com/

Paul Yaw is quite an authority.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net