fuel system and other fun stuff

dust

non builders should read allot of posts on this forum and other places and remember that some, the ones with the most questions, are making changes that wouldn't have the questions if they were building per plans.

For example, i am putting in a fuel injected engine, which requires more fuel lines than a carburated engine. If I would put in a recommended engine, the parts and procedures are "in the plans"

Don't let all of this chatter scare you, it is not a "reason not to build" it is just the result of modifications.

Enjoy the build, realize that any mod takes allot of time

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Ah yes, the plans....

I think we all learn a little more about our airplanes and constructing a flying machine when we have to explain it to others. For instance: I felt obliged to explain why I was taking on such a large project (building a Cozy)when my brother's Commanche 250 was not only available but at a very good discount (free -except for fuel 14 gph). I explained to this person why I disliked the "cookie cutter" variety aircraft, and one reason why I was building a "homebuilt / experimental" aircraft. The word "experimental" was a real eyebrow raiser. I have no idea what that word conjures up in someone else's mind, but I always pictured something from "Those magnificent men in their flying machines movie", I mean come on, we all know how airplanes work, right? What could anyone think of that could possibly be the basis for an experiment aircraft? That's what many people think, including some "non-builders". That's what I thought too.

As I read the many posts here and in the other Cozy sites, I saw something that seemed to be an underlying theme for anyone attempting to build a Cozy, and that theme was this: Stick to Nat's plans and you will have a safe, operating, fully functional flying machine, that will have the FAA's smile of approval some fine day. I agree with that sentiment. Nevertheless, if we all (what is it now almost 1200?) built airplanes just EXACTLY like the plans, how much different would we be that Piper, Cessna, Grumman etc.? If you want to get an airplane in the air quickly and easily, you follow the plans. If you want something a little different you put a little of yourself in the plans. If it works, great, if it doesn't you learn from it and go on. Obviously, you may have a stubborn streak in you if 10 other guys (or gals) couldn't get something to work and you still want to try it, but hey! that's what it is all about.

I got to see John's plane last weekend. It's a work of art. Sure it's a Cozy, outside, but it's got John written all over it. I liked the way he did most of the things he did. I mean he is a pioneer in many facets of the build. The data he and many of the other builders are sharing with us ,is priceless. If we were in competition, the word would be: mum. I think that's why GA hasn't gone anywhere in the last 40 years (but that's my opinion).

I believe that this is the cutting edge of General Aviation, perhaps not avaition in it's entirety, because the military will always be one step ahead (cause they got the $$$$) but for flying citizens around who arent millionaires and not soon to be, this is the cat's meow. Every wacky idea that is expounded here gets the full treatment from very knowledgeable people who have been there, done that or are thinking about it.

So look on the map, see where you live. Some places on the map you can't do what we're doing. I agree with the "Dusty One", don't be afraid to want to make minor changes. Yes it will take longer, but at least you can learn from others who have tried it or are trying it now, or why they DIDNT do it....

So just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid answers...

Kevin

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes: