Costs of a rotary

CBarber

I don't mean for this to sound like I am being a smart aleck, but in aviation, isn't the low $20's considered reasonable for an engine?

One of the reasons I like the Mazda is it cost (not the only reason). $5757 for new 240 hp Renises when available (I hear Jan '04) seems more what I would consider reasonalbe....still a lot of money, but it is a new engine.

I almost fell out of my chair when Velocity, Inc told me the price for a discounted new Lyc engine through them (low $30's If memory serves....I tried to block it out<g>

What would be an engine cost that is reasonable for the average flyer? (I know, what is average? More specifically for our four place canards?)

Just caught my curiosity.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Chris,

Regarding the Renesis, don't forget that this is just the bare block. You'll need to budget for:

Redrive $2800

EFI Computer $900

Intake $1000

Injectors $300

Alternator $300

Radiator $400

Oil Cooler $300

Hoses & fittings $500

Some of the above are approximate. I may have missed a few items.

It comes to about another $6 or $7k altogether. Total 13B installation cost is closer to $13k when all said and done, not including labor if you use a professional engine shop to set it up. But - that's a brand new engine and all new periforals. Maintenance costs will be minimal compared to Lycoming.

By contrast, George Graham got a used engine and uses 2nd gear in the manual tranny for his redrive. I think he also used stock auto guages and computer. Probably cost him less than $1000 for everything .... and he's flying!

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

John,

Thanks for the heads up, but I am aware. I still get a kick out of the "bang for the buck" factor. We are all still waiting for you first flight. Is it the "day it is fineshed" yet????.

I was only making coment as to the core...I gotta start somewhere <g>.

BTW, I had my Velocity wings/canard kit delivered on Thursday.....it was like a second Christmas. So I wont need an engine for a while. Maybe I will get lucky and they will start smashing up RX-8's soon (misfortune used for good???).

Thanks again.

All the best,

Chris

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Yea, I know you've done you're research. The "heads-up" was for others who might not know what else is involved.

>Is it the "day it is fineshed" yet????.

No, but I think it's getting closer. Today I crossed out 4 of the things to do ( http://kgarden.com/cozy/things.htm ) and added 5 new ones. :( That's progress - right?

My guess - 4 - 8 weeks.

In a couple of weeks I'm flying (commercial) to Islip, NY, then left seat in Rich Huges's Cozy to Rough River, KY and back to Islip, then commercial back to West Palm. A busy weekend, but this should give me about 12 hours of P1 time in a Cozy.

I guess this should be in a different thread. I'll move it when I get a chance.

Congrats on the wing kit.

John

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net